Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2004, 03:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you like your Carson ToyBox?

I'm considering ordering a new 2004 22' front bath Cason FunRunner for $14,000 O.T.D. pretty much bare bones (other than standard A/C, heater, full kitchen, water heater). I'd like to hear what people have to say about them. Being the last one on our group that still tents it is getting old. The only things im adding at the dealer would be the pull down queen bed($350) and I'll be upgrading to the heavy-duty axles($850) and of coarse the spare and stabilizers jacks. I hear many people bad mouthing Cason and that they build "cheap" trailers but for $14,000 for a brand spanking new trailer and the fact that it will only be only used for interstate travel to my favorite staging areas and being pulled by a 2WD ½ ton truck w/ tow package, and no real "off-road" use other than a bladed dirt road, I think the price it right for me. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

Old 03-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

we sell carson trailers and the funrunners are a great trailer we have also used them and they are very good. We have demod some trailers and they seem to hold up fine. I have been to carsons factory about 4 times and visited weekend warriors. They are built with exactly the same materials and exactly the same way down a assembly line. I highly reccomend the fun runner to you, you will be very happy.

Old 03-20-2004, 03:06 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I would even consider pulling any toybox with a half-ton! The dry weight of a 22' is probably all of 6,500 lbs. You add in water, gear, and the bikes, and I bet you are way over the tow limit of your truck! I have the same problem!

Old 03-21-2004, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

You can tow that trailer with a half ton. You have to run weight distribution with 2 load leveling torque bars. It has a special hitch and 2 torque bars and the mount to put on the trailer. I have set up atlelast 30 of these on trucks, i could not imagine a 1/2 towing the trailer without it. Every trailer we sold where the guy had a half ton we installed weight distribution. Draw tite makes best kit and is very simple to install. Its around 200-400$ depending on the dealer. This way you will not look like an idiot towing your trailer.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Range Rover

I don't think I would even consider pulling any toybox with a half-ton! The dry weight of a 22' is probably all of 6,500 lbs. You add in water, gear, and the bikes,
The 22' toy boxes i been looking at weight in at about 5,300 lbs dry, even the strudy trailers made by Thor are 5,600 lbs dry, add two quads and a 100 gal of water that still only about 7,600 lbs. My 5.4L Expedition is pretty well set-up, has rear load leveling suspension (air bags), 3.73LS gears, high out-put alternator, 4r100 (large tranny) w/ trans cooler rated at 8,000 lbs, i know that's cutting it very close but i rather max out now as im looking at getting the new F-150 (rated at 9,500max towng) for years of happy trailering.

Old 03-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

Comming home from what seemed to be the hottest place on earth (Ocotillo Wells) this weekend we stopped at all the looked at the toy box dealers near Beaumont, Ca. and all most bought a 2004 21' Attitude completly loaded for $19,000 O.T.D., had the fuel station, 4000w gen set, 106 gal water tank, A/C, oven, mrico, TV/DVD, ext shower, jacks, 2-7 gal propane tanks, pull down bed, heavy duty 5,200 lbs axles on Zieman chassis, walk on roof, ext speakers, ext flood lights, diamond plates, nice front bath, etc. The only thing i didnt like was that "hollow" feeling when you tap on the walls, Attitude trailers are made with 2"x2" wood studs and batt insulation. Trailers made by Weekend warrior and Thor are made on the same chassis but the sidewalls/ roof are alum studs w/ ridge foam insulation, pound on the walls and they will feel very solid. To me u pay the extra price ($3,000) and you get alot more trailer, if you think about it in terms of how well it's going to hold up in 10 years down the line. I go riding about 2-3 times a month and plan on keep it till the wheels fall off.
So now im decideing if i really need that good of a trailer or just go all out and buy either a Thor transporter ($22,500 o.t.d.) or a little more for a weekend warrior, it's hard to decide when you make a purchace that you'll either be happy with or regeret it once you buy it. I'll have to think about it some more next time im sweating my *** off listening to the people next door running there a/c in the trailers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

Hey eman4000, Johnson valley was maybe 85 out. It was perfect. Did you check out that website re: trailers?

Trending Topics

Old 03-23-2004, 10:54 PM
Range Rover

HappywithVForce,
It's Murphy law, im use to it by now. I should have stay local but instead i drove 3+ hours only to ride in 110 degrees temp. way to hot to ride. How are the trails at Johnson valley? I'm having a little problem loggin in on the trailer web site over at glamisdunes.com, i'll figure it thou, thanks for the tip.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider

I've had a 22' fun runner for three years now, And I have had zero problems with it. I don't regret buying it all. The only problem I have now is my wife wants a trailer with a front bedroom..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. If she gets her way, We both wont be afraid to go with another funrunner again.

Old 03-25-2004, 04:49 AM
Pro Rider

Oh yeah and I almost forgot. I pull it with a 1/2 ton......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. I've pulled it to Oregon from Southern California twice. I just use weight distribution bars, And everything goes smooth.

Quick Reply: How do you like your Carson ToyBox?