Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Suburban Diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004 | 01:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Suburban Diesel?

My 7.3L Turbo Diesel Excursion tows nicely. My buddy with a Suburban gas engine is looking to sell his to get an Excursion.

Excursion is actually shorter than an extended cab short-bed Super Duty PU. So, fits in the garage.

I put the airbags on (that was a pain in the a$$ because there isn't any room to work because it is shorter. But, a 1-day job for me (I am kinda slow!)

I love the fuel tank . . 44 gallons. I can make it quite a long way on a single tank of fuel.

Weird that all short-beds use about a 26 gallon tank.

I think the Durmax / Allison combo is great.

Went with the Excursion because of the size - like all my cars in the garage. Side benefit has been that the wife can lay down in the center row on the long trips to save her back and our daughter can sit in the very back. . . kinda a twisted family I guess. Everyone in their own row [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2010 | 06:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 2004 Suburban 2500 Diesel

Hey guys - you CAN buy a late model Diesel Suburban. Not long ago I found myself wanting to replace our aging small block Suburban. I wanted the amenities of a Suburban matched with the towing power of the new Duramax Diesel Engine /Allison Transmission and couldn't believe Chevy was not producing this vehicle. Then I learned about a small company in central California that was taking 2500 Suburbans and retrofitting them with the Duramax / Allison combo. I bought one and recently took it on a 2400 mile business trip. All I can say is WOW! If anyone is interested I will be happy to put you in touch with them.

Len
Cyclepedia Press LLC
Online ATV, Motorcycle, Scooter Manuals
Cyclepedia Press LLC Online Workshop Manuals for ATVs, Motorcycles and Scooters