Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Anyone have a cummings desiel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a cummings desiel

I just put a edge ez power moduale in my uncle 2003 dodge 1 ton dually and he got a increase in milage of about 4 miles per gallon and I was beating on it to see how much more power it had Test drove b-4 install 17.3mpg and after the install 60hp and 200ftlbs and was getting on the pedal alot more went on the same drive and it got around 21.4mpg He pulled his fifth wheel to texas last year with and got around 11-12 on the way down and 10-11 on the way back so hopefully he will let me know what kind of mileage hes getting once he hooks up the trailer. BTW 03 dually with 6 speed and 4.10 gears

Old 07-08-2004, 05:34 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

This is one thing that's always gotten me....more power and better mileage. What exactly are the power chips doing? Are they leaning the motors out? Changing boost somehow?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

A better question is: Why in the heck don't they come from the factory like that?
Why hold back? reliablity? Cafe standards in the future? What's your guess?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-08-2004, 06:19 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Probably emissions. My buddy has an 01 Dodge Dually with the 6 speed with an intake, exhaust, and module that can be tuned from inside the rig. When he turns it up, and puts it to the floor, that thing will FLY!!!! Plus it also pours out black smoke. But, he can set it to an economy mode and get GREAT mileage with it too.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

More fuel to the motor, different shift points, ect.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:54 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

If you're dumping more fuel into the motor (likely if you're puffing black smoke big time) then how do they increase the mileage? Hmmmm. Moving the shift point up (higher RPM shift) should also use more fuel. Be interesting to talk to an engineer at these chip places to find out how they do it.

Power...wash that thing. It won't be so dusty. Mine is once and again black and red...not brown and red. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
If you're dumping more fuel into the motor (likely if you're puffing black smoke big time) then how do they increase the mileage? Hmmmm. Moving the shift point up (higher RPM shift) should also use more fuel. Be interesting to talk to an engineer at these chip places to find out how they do it.Power...wash that thing. It won't be so dusty. Mine is once and again black and red...not brown and red. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
I dont know how all of that stuff works. All i know is that it does.. lol

Yeah it needs a bath but then itll show the scratches better.. lmao

Old 07-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey i look at it like this more HP and torque move the weight ie vehical more easily .. sounds right ..[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-09-2004, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

The chips must be changing the injector pump timing, not just more fuel.
When I was working on the GM 5.7 diesel for a living (in cars) I would advance the injector pump timing and they would have alot more power and get better mileage too.

Old 07-09-2004, 03:21 AM
Quad Patrol

It would be nice if they came from the factory with every bit of hp they could every produce[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, it's an emissions thing. If they fall within the parameters that the EPA set up, then, the dealers can sell it. The dealers want the enviromentalist to lay off, so, they put out good horsepower with excellent (alright good) emissions level. When you add the power chip, it reprograms the main computer, so that everything works better together. When the 33's were put on my truck, the mileage went down, put the 60 hp power chip in, with 4 inch exhaust, fuel mileage went up to pre tire mileage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, if I stomp on the gas pedal, I can literrally watch the fuel guage move[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]But, boy, do I fly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Anyone have a cummings desiel