Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Can you two doubles in Cali???

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you two doubles in Cali???

I was wondering if I could tow a toybox or travel trailer and quad trailer in California? If so, what are the requirements needed?
I've seen doubles on the road before in others states but not here.
Thanks in advance for all your great comments. This board has been very useful[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

wish I could type correctly (wrong header in post)

Can I pull two trailers in Cali[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe that you can tow doubles in ca. I think the legallity issues are that the first trailer has to be a fith wheel and then the second can be pulled behind that and then your whole rig has to be under 65 ' I also think you are required to have a special class of license to do this. Some of the more experienced gurus on here should be able to give you the real deal.

Old 07-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Range Rover

Is there a lowered speed limit for towing in cali?

thanks

Old 07-13-2004, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, 55MPH

Old 07-13-2004, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, there is a lower speed limit of 55 mph on the highways opposed to the normal 65 mph.

Old 07-13-2004, 05:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Trasher: You need a Class A Commercial license with a Doubles Endorsement. I don't know about any requirement with regard to the configuration having to be a fifth wheel as the first towed vehicle. Maximum combined vehicle length is 65' I believe as someone noted earlier. I think this is why many people use fifth wheels as the first trailer. You gain/save about 6' of trailer length. And it's all box length, except may a foot. Whereas with a bumper tow you lose 3 feet to the A-frame of the trailer.

And I agree with the other guys on 55MPH. It's techincally "Trucks and Autos with Trailers." I believe a "truck" is anything with a GVWR of 26,000lbs or more on 2 axles, and over 6,000 GVWR on 3 axles. Basically anything that requires a CDL. It's in the Vehicle Code, IIRC. Though the maximum speed limit can vary between 55, 60, 65 & 70 depending on the particular road and it's configuration. And then there's the catchall basic speed limit "Not faster than road conditions allow."

Gotta question for those in the know: At one point does one need to stop at the scales? I know pickups don't have to. But what about say F-450, 550, 650? Obviously any of the Commercial vehicles (rigs) need to stop.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 07-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Quad Patrol

The state has come out with a recreational class A license for California. The requirements are the same as Commercial trucks. Biggest difference is, we won't be using air brakes. I have seen pull trailers, pulling pull trailers in California. I have asked my CHP buddies about it. The way it was explained to me is, It is legal. But, the leading trailer needs to have a bigger hitch ball then the second trailer. So, front trailer should have say, a 2 5/16 inch ball and the 2nd trailer should have a 2 inch or 1 7/8 in ball. Overall length can not be more then 65 feet. Maximum speed limit for trucks and trailers is 55 mph. Here's the vehicle code; Section 22406

No person may drive any of the following vehicles on a
highway at a speed in excess of 55 miles per hour:
(a) A motortruck or truck tractor having three or more axles or
any motortruck or truck tractor drawing any other vehicle.
(b) A passenger vehicle or bus drawing any other vehicle.
(c) A schoolbus transporting any school pupil.
(d) A farm labor vehicle when transporting passengers.
(e) A vehicle transporting explosives.
(f) A trailer bus, as defined in Section 636.

I'll try and get the rest of the codes. Dan

Old 07-13-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

good info
I think I might try this and see how it pulls around town before getting too set on it for a long trip.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior

Gotta question for those in the know: At one point does one need to stop at the scales? I know pickups don't have to. But what about say F-450, 550, 650? Obviously any of the Commercial vehicles (rigs) need to stop.

BlackandRed, here you go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Dan

California Vehicle Code Section 2813 outlines who must stop at weigh stations and inspection stations:

2813. Every driver of a commercial vehicle shall stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection of the size, weight, equipment, and smoke emissions of the vehicle at any location where members of the California Highway Patrol are conducting tests and inspections of commercial vehicles and when signs are displayed requiring the stop. Every driver who fails or refuses to stop and submit the vehicle to an inspection when signs are displayed requiring that stop is guilty of a misdemeanor.

California Vehicle Code Section 260 defines "commercial vehicle":

260. (a) A "commercial vehicle" is a motor vehicle of a type required to be registered under this code used or maintained for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property.
(b) Passenger vehicles which are not used for the transportation of persons for hire, compensation, or profit and housecars are not commercial vehicles. ...
(c) Any vanpool vehicle is not a commercial vehicle.

Quick Reply: Can you two doubles in Cali???