Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Has anybody installed an RV gen in their RV?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 10:26 PM
EAB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody installed an RV gen in their RV?

I have a toy hauler that has no generator in it, the gen was an option that we didnt get. I would like to add an RV style generator in the gen box and I was wondering if anyone has done this before?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Quad Patrol

A real good friend of mine installed a onan in his trailer. It took him 2 days. He didn't have any major problems installing it. He also did it all by himself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Pretty simple. get a wiring diagram for the trailer, and make sure you get it all in right. Route the exhaust away from insulation/flammables.
be surprised how many forget that.

Old 08-29-2004, 06:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

I would suggest you contact the trailer manufacturer and obtain the model number or numbers of the unit(s) originally installed in your trailer. These would fit for sure and should be the easiest to install and be expected to give good service.

Old 09-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tencubed
I would suggest you contact the trailer manufacturer and obtain the model number or numbers of the unit(s) originally installed in your trailer. These would fit for sure and should be the easiest to install and be expected to give good service.
Good point, Mike. Just like installing a factory radio from your car maker, the trailer might even be wired and ready for the generator your trailer manufacturer puts in their models. It would definitely cut down on the guesswork. And plus, you don't want to put a generator in your trailer that might be too small to power all your accessories. It'll work too hard, and thats just a disaster waiting to happen. I'd go with Mikes suggestion on this one.....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

If you have ac in your trailer you need a 3000 watt or more. I would reccomend to you a honda eu3000 super quiet. It lives up to the name, you can just throw it in th eback of your truck and lock it down, When you get to where your camping just plug it in and it has keystart.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

I'm looking at doing this myself, found some good quiet gas units on Ebay just not sure what I would do about a gas tank, I'd rather have propane. If it's a RV style gen (in it's own box) I'll put it in the front storage compartment of the fifth wheel, A 4KW will fit in there nicely

Old 09-07-2004, 02:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: DSjockey
I'm looking at doing this myself, found some good quiet gas units on Ebay just not sure what I would do about a gas tank, I'd rather have propane. If it's a RV style gen (in it's own box) I'll put it in the front storage compartment of the fifth wheel, A 4KW will fit in there nicely
DIY is usually, in my opinion, a good way to go because of all a person can learn. If you are going with a propane unit may I suggest you be sure it is designed from the start for propane fuel. A converted gas engine will not be fuel efficient when running on propane. Considering the present price of propane even a well set up unit will be more costly to operate on propane than a unit designed for and running on gas.

Before you put that unit in the front storage compartment be sure to consider the air flow, generators produce a lot of heat, and exhaust gas disposal issues. Proper sound deadening and fire continment may also be difficult.

I kind of like Mr Zeeedler's idea of throwing a Honda in the back of the truck if you have one. If your pulling with a van I still like the idea of a seperate generator that you can chain to the RV and have it away from the storage area when it is running.

Old 09-07-2004, 03:33 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: tencubed

I kind of like Mr Zeeedler's idea of throwing a Honda in the back of the truck if you have one. If your pulling with a van I still like the idea of a seperate generator that you can chain to the RV and have it away from the storage area when it is running.
Tencube, You made some valid points on putting the generator in the campartment[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I put my Honda on the back of my trailer or in the bed of my truck, like you and Zeedler mentioned. But, if I could, I'd prefer to have the generator in a compartment on the trailer. Always there, don't have to worry about another thing to pack or make room for. Plus, the convenience of pushing a button[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (I do know there is a Honda model out there with push button)

Old 09-08-2004, 02:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Originally posted by: rescuediver
[/b][/i]

the convenience of pushing a button
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Oh Yeah! I like stuff that works that way! Trouble with using the gensets that are not designed for compartment installation is they are hard to cool and tend to be dangerous to confine.

I suspect that a cord set could be made up that would allow removing the genset from a designated compartment on the RV and still allow it to be started from inside. Might be something of the best of both worlds really, able to control the unit from inside and still able to get the noise and vibration away from the rig. Probably a better idea for boondocking and not for camgrounds.

Quick Reply: Has anybody installed an RV gen in their RV?