Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge diesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge diesel

Originally posted by: 428mustang
Although i must admit, out of the three trucks, ford has the best interior. chevy's inside needs to be redone. Really outdated

That's almost funny. The GM actually has the most refined and outfitted interior of the three. Not to mention the most comfortable.

The Ford has the most dated interior of the three.

These statements have been made by ALL testers about the three products available today. I might also mention I own a SuperDuty and will be the very first to admit the GM interior is light years ahead of Ford.

Buck

Old 12-26-2004, 04:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dodge diesel

I don't think so. My buddies got an old 1994 Chevy 2500 or what ever and it looks the same from the inside as my other friends brand new 3500 dually. Please keep in mind that im not talking about half ton or light pickups.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:03 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dodge diesel

as far as interiors I must also say that I think it goes as following; GM, Dodge, Ford. I hvae tested all of them and just love the GM interior. The Ford was just to plain but hten again I test drove the F-350 FX4 long bed crew cab and just thought it was to plain looking. But I do like Dodge interior with the shinny silver peices around the control but on the top of the list I hate is the turn **** 4X4 which I have and would much rather have the lever on the floor but are all nice trucks but if I had to rank them it goes Dodge, Ford, then GM becasue I am not a firm believer in the duramax's but maybe someday I will. I would also like to state that if CAT started putting a motor in a full size pick-up I would go buy it tomorrow but untill then I am a Dodge man and not looking back (at least for now).

Old 12-27-2004, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dodge diesel

Originally posted by: buck183
As for two trucks hooking up to each other.....too many variables come into play. Just because one pulls the other means nothing to me.

Buck
Reminds me of an old buddy. He had been rebuilding a Mustang Rancho with a 351. Once finished, he declared it the most powerful thing ever.

I told him my 66 Scout with a 4 cyl would out tow him.
Pissing contest ensues, resulting in the two vehicles chained together by the rear. I dropped it in to 4 low, and let the 12.50 tires grab pavement. He starts to slide backwards, wheels spinning. I get out and go walk next to his door, chatting with him as the Scout tows him around the lot at idle.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Never discount gearing, nor mistake horsepower for power.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Dodge diesel

Originally posted by: Cheapass
As for two trucks hooking up to each other.....too many variables come into play. Just because one pulls the other means nothing to me.

Buck
Reminds me of an old buddy. He had been rebuilding a Mustang Rancho with a 351. Once finished, he declared it the most powerful thing ever.

I told him my 66 Scout with a 4 cyl would out tow him.
Pissing contest ensues, resulting in the two vehicles chained together by the rear. I dropped it in to 4 low, and let the 12.50 tires grab pavement. He starts to slide backwards, wheels spinning. I get out and go walk next to his door, chatting with him as the Scout tows him around the lot at idle.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Never discount gearing, nor mistake horsepower for power.
Very well put.

Buck

Old 12-28-2004, 12:26 AM
Trailblazer
Default Dodge diesel

Well I must say that if your 4cyclinder pulled him around with him out weighing you probably by about 1000 pounds then his 351 is a pretty sad 351. The best variable that come into play when you are pulling is traction, power, and in the most being weight and gears. With the 4cyclinder revving high and not giving it's peak torque in higher RPM's Then that is a weak 351. The main reason why a diesel will out pull a gas is weight and will get better torque in lower RPM's. It's not horsepower that pulls it is torque. When you are pulling in dirt you don't want to have big tires you want nice decent tires that will dig, the bigger tires offer to much floatation in the fact a single wheel will out pull a dually.

Old 02-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Range Rover
Default Dodge diesel

Originally posted by: 428mustang
does anyone on this site other then me have the new 2004 Dodge diesel. all i see is fords and more fords. i have 2 old fords, but come on, are people here missing out on 600 foot lbs of torque??? Burn outs in third gear, oooooooooooooo yyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. any ways...
We're not missing out on as much performance as you think.

Here's the facts. All of this is in print and can be proven if you want.

Why would Dodge redesign the Cummins in 2002 boasting it as being the biggest, baddest and the best? When in fact it was the slowest of the big three in ALL shootouts that were done on these trucks? This is loaded and unloaded. If this new design was so awesome why would Dodge then come out two years later and redo it again? Again, boasting more HP and Torque than the other two. There's something wrong with this picture. Dodge is CLAIMING to be the king of the hill yet they are AGAIN in third place in ALL the shootouts between the big three. They are the only one of the three that hasn't stepped up and installed a five speed braking tranny yet. They are the only one that hasn't stepped up and put a REAL crew cab out yet.

If this new engine in fact puts out the numbers that they are claiming something doesn't add up. Either the Powerstroke tranny and drivetrain is more efficient at putting the power to the rear wheels or Dodge is not putting true HP and Torque ratings in print. The Powerstroke is still beating it in accelleration runs across the board. Two and two are not adding up to four here.

The Dodge is still behind in sales of the three. Dodge needs to start putting a truck around their engine and tranny package to compliment what they claim they have. This would help them in today's market.

Two months ago GM, yes GM, outsold Dodge in Diesel truck sales nation wide. Pretty much a kick in the nuts if you ask me. Considering the reputation GM has in the Diesel market over the last twenty years or so. Bottom line, the Duramax is a better package right now. People are realizing this.

As for Ford, I don't see them losing their lead in this market for years to come. There's a reason more people are buying Superduty's than Dodge.

Buck
WRONG!!! if the ford was better why do they offer the powerstroke in their trucks up to the f550. After that you get a CUMMINS or a CAT. the powerstroke and duramax are rated as light duty diesel, The CUMMINS is a medium duty diesel. MORE power than any of the two. More reliable also. The duramax tries to sell with the name allison for the tranny, most who two still will get a manuel trans. the allison is just a name, Not the same at in the big trucks. The duramax owners get rid of them before high miles becouse they know they won't last.aluminum heads come on. The powerjoke is in the shop more than on the road. I can out pull one of those with my quad.Have you looked at the internal parts of these motors? the connecting rods on the cummins is twice the size. Most class 8 trucks use the inline 6. The best way to tow. Dodge just has to do better on the cab size. Other than that the Dodge walks all over the other two.

Old 02-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Dodge diesel

I dont know about all the fords and chevys trucks. But I do know that my 2004.5 dodge 3500 duelly 4x4
with the Larmie package is outstanding. I had a 94 dodge w/ the cummins and i thought it pulled my boat and camper just fine. We travel to Canada alot. Loaded down to the max with the old 94 cummins. It was a little slow going up the grades. But it never let you down. I couod cruise at any speed on flat ground to. When I bought my 2004.5 dodge with the cummins. LOOK OUT PEOPLE I AM COMING THROUGH!!!!!!!!!! This think has so much torque and power its scary. Last time we went to Canada we
went up I-5 up the Grape vine pulling a heavy load. I was doing 85 mph and not even knowning it. Just
flting past everyone. Trucks, cars, rvs, you name. To say the least I am very impressed with the new
Dodge trucks. Oh and the navication system is just awsum..................