Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

towing with a minivan

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default towing with a minivan

Do you think a minivan can tow a 6x12 trailer with two atv in it.Looking into buying one and dont know what year or the engine that it will have.So iam just looking to see if can be done.

Old 12-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

I sure wouldn't want to do that.

I tow 6.5x10 with 2 ATV's behind my Tacoma (see pics) and it does it fine but gas mileage goes way down. I am planning to get an aluminum trailer to lighten the load some.

Whatever you do DO NOT tow in overdrive with a smaller vehicle. It causes a LOT of heat and heat kills trannies. I wouldn't even tow in OD with a 1/2 ton unless it's real flat.

Old 12-06-2004, 05:38 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Look at the towing guides/ratings for the minivans in question. Most of the current production vans are not build for anything really hard towing wise. With an aluminum trailer, yeah, you probably could do it, if you were gentle and vans were rated for towing.

As much as I'm not a GM guy, the Astro & Safari mini-vans are built on the S10/Sonoma platform and with the 4.3V6 should be able to pull that load. I used to drive a '91 Sonoma Sport long bed 4x2. On a couple of occasions, I pulled a small 4x8 trailer with wood, BBQ and other supplies with my Warrior in the back of the truck. I would hazard a guess the load in the trailer was at least 400lbs. So a slightly larger trailer with a couple quads would probably come in a little more than what I weighed and I had no problems towing, I had 3+ really good climbs to get to Pismo. This was with the old TBI 4.3, not the later Vortec motor.

THe Ford Aerostar is also in that same class (Ranger platform I believe). I think the Astro/Safari would be a better puller (the 4.3V6 is a nice motor), and I'm a Ford guy.

Bones is right on the tranny, that's going to be a weak link, even in the Astro/Safair. I'm sure the run the 700R4 tranny, and it's longevity (in stock form) isn't all that great. The truck I drove blew one at 120K and then 180K. Rebuilt was about 1800, IIRC. The torque converter stopped locking up (who knows when that happened) and the OD clutches went out on me. 1-3 worked like a champ, but no OD. Definately add a tranny cooler no matter what. There's a reason you see them on the trucks.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 12-06-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 6x12 single axle trailer (steel) will probably weigh about 700 lbs. Two full size utility quads will run about 600 lbs each. Add in maybe 100 lbs of gear / fuel and you could have a total load of 2000 lbs. If you're hauling sport quads it will be a few hundred less.

I'm reading from our Honda Odyssey manual:

Maxium total trailer weight - (assuming each person weighs 150 lbs):

2 people = 3,500 lb trailer
3 people = 3,350 lb
4 = 3,200 lb
5 = 3,050 lb
6 = 2,900 lb
7 = 650

The big jump downwards from 6 to 7 people is because the last three are in the back seat and that weight will tend to overload the rear axle. So in theory, you could tow your 2,000 lb trailer even if you had 6 people on board. However, there are a few other rules. If the trailer weighs more than 1,850 lbs, then you must have a weight distrribution hitch. Once the trailer weight exceeds 2,000 lbs, you need a sway control bar and for ANY towing at all, you'll need to add an optional transmission and power steering fluid coolers. They also recommend brakes on the trailer once the trailer weight exceeds 1,000 lbs. All of this is straight from the Honda owners manual . - This is for a V6, 3.5L with 5-speed automatic tranny.

My own opinion - I think you would be stretching things a bit close. Even though in theory the van can tow 3,500 lbs, I think that towing 2,000 lbs will not only kill your gas milage but also eventually take out your transmission. Aside from that, I think that the 2,000 lb weight of the trailer will cause some real handling problems for your average mini-van - problems that could cause you to loose control. Also my opinion - If you have to go with a WD hitch on a mini-van you are better off getting a real tow vehicle. Unless you are talking about HD pick-ups, I think most passenger car tow ratings are over-rated - you need to shoot for no more that 75% of the max recommended load.

Now, If you have two sport quads (700 pounds total) and an aluminum trailer (400 lbs), you'd be much better off.

Jaybee

Old 12-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

the dry weight on my 6x12 enclosed is 1500 lbs

Do you think a minivan can tow a 6x12 trailer with two atv in it
i assume he was talking enclosed when he said 'in it'

anyhow,,,,that changes things a little

Old 12-06-2004, 06:48 PM
Trailblazer

thanks jay alot to think about.I have a z400 and a lt80 that my son and i race so iam getting a cargo trailer for all are things.In the van it will me my wife and three young kids.I have a dodge ram with a 5.9 in it that can pull it but it is a regular cab so i would have to take two cars.

Old 12-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

sorry it is a cargo trailer i should have put that in frist

Old 12-06-2004, 06:54 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

I say its a really bad idea,,,at least for a front wheel drive model

We sold our 1999 Wrangler with a 4.0,,,,,because it had trouble pulling our 6x12 with one quad in it.

Old 12-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I have had three Astro vans before and all would pull a trailer that size without a problem (as long as it loaded within reason)
I have a 12X6 trailer now and we load it with 3 quads and two bikes and the astro pulled it fine. Never had any problems with the van either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Only reason I don't own one now is that I'm sick at looking at the same thing in the garage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2004, 03:11 AM
Quad Patrol

My brother has a ford mini van and pulls his 16 foot boat with it. Been doing it for 2-3 years and hasn't had any problems. I would get a transmission cooler if possible, and if you tow a lot, change the fluid more often. If your towing in over drive and it's not shifitng in and out of gears, you should be fine. But, if it's searching for a place to stay, then don't tow in over drive. Best thing to do is check your owners guide.

Quick Reply: towing with a minivan