Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Which Truck??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Truck??

I want opinions on which truck will best fit my needs. 1/2 ton? 1/2 "Z" ton? 3/4 ton? gas? diesel? gmc? chevy? ford?

To haul:
1) 2 quads with the ATV ultimate rack on the bed of the truck.
2) travel trailer - 24-26 feet in length, self contained.

Home base central california:
Going to pismo dunes, the desert areas, and the local mountains.

Would like to get a quad cab w/ a short box.
Most miles are in the city to work daily and back (approx 40 rt)
BUT, also want it to be able to do the job on the weekends.
Plan to use the trailer at least 6 times a year and lots in the summer months.
Don't really want a 1 ton dually as a daily rider.

Thanks for your help..

Old 01-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which Truck??

What does your trailer weigh?

Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default Which Truck??

No doubt. Hauling a large trailer plus two quads mounted up hhigh on top of the rails.

3/4 ton, Diesel.

I'm partial to GMC/Chevy but that's my own bias. The latest Ford 3/4 ton has some nice towing features.

Jaybee

Old 01-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

I pull a 27 ft. travel trailer with a bed high carrier with a 50 c.c. under that, add in all the coolers of beer and pop, firewood, ramps and everthing else for a week, my drw f-350 isn't really stressed, but you notice the weight. The bed high haulers for a short box load lengthwise, this may interfer with visibility in most mirrors, thats why I built mine to load from the side. As far as diesel or gas, I would go diesel if you're going to use it much, milage and longevity are much greater, plus if you ever move up in sizeon your trailer, you've got enough truck,the way vehicles depreciate these days this is a big point, and diesels depreciate at a slower rate it seems

Old 01-11-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Default Which Truck??

For technical clarity - How much does a weeks worth of beer weigh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Jaybee

Old 01-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

With weight up that high plus a trailer, a dually would be more stable and aren't that much more than a 3/4 ton. I use mine as a daily driver and there are narrow streets where I live, so SRW 1 ton was the best compromise for me.

Its always better to get a little more truck than you think you need. In the next few years (or however long you plan to keep the truck) could you see yourself looking for a bigger trailer, or a toyhauler?

Anyway, Diesel is the only way to get something that big and get decent fuel economy.

I've always been a Ford man, but that 6.0 scares me (see JD Powers), so it was either give up a full size crew cab (dodge) or go Chevy. The Chevy's have a really plush ride, but I preferred how the Cummins runs, so I went Dodge.

Newer 6.0's seem to be better... so look at and drive all three.

Old 01-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Range Rover
Default Which Truck??

Your going to need an F-250 or Chevy 2500 to pull a trailer that big with a couple quads. I would also recommend diesel. I drive a Chevy 1500 Z71 and all the trailer dealers I have talked to said I could only pull a 21 foot trailer maximum going up the steep hills to the desert. So if i were you I would get a bigger truck like the F-250 or Chevey 2500. If your a dodge man they are alright too.

Old 01-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Which Truck??

Welcome to the Forum:

I had a set up just like you have described: 2000, Chevy 1500 Z-71, extended cab, had a rack, that slid in the bed, it carried 2 large quads on it, and equipment underneath. Towed a 21 foot trailer with equalizer bars. Total weight was approx 12,500 pounds. (I have the weigh certs somewhere) I moved things around to adjust the weight, I was able to get it level, however, I was about 800#'s over weight on the axles. So, it didn't matter where I put the stuff, I was over weight.

I opted to move up to a Ford F250, PSD and haven't looked back. Mileage is the same around town as my Z-71, approx. 15 mpg. On the highway, I get anywhere from 17-22 mpg. Just depends on how much I romp on the pedal[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Biggest difference is pulling a load. On my Z-71 I would get on avg. 10 mpg. With my PSD, I'm getting 15 mpg at 65-68 mph. Getting up to pass on I-5 while headed to Pismo is a breeze[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm at 80 before I know it. So I would strongly suggest anything above a 1/2 ton. I think right now all the manufacturers are making good vehicles. I think it depends on if your a Ford[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Chevy or Dodge man[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, look at where you might be in 3-4-5 years.Will you want another quad? or a toy trailer?? If so, plan ahead and buy the vehicle now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Especially if your looking new. I know around Central Ca. a new F250 PSD is around $45,000 and can go as high as $62,000 with lift and engine improvements.

Good Luck on your Decision[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

rescuediver

Old 01-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

speaking technically jaybee, my cooler is all I can pick up, and the wifes is a six-pack lighter![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 01-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which Truck??

With the weight you want to haul, definately a 3/4 or one ton. I got the one ton because it offered more load capacity, didn't cost much more, and rode just as smooth as the 3/4. Ford that is, GM or Dodge may not.

I would also stay with a large block such as the V10 Ford or 8.1 GM if you want a gas motor. Hemi might work but sucks gas like it owns Mobil. Actually the other two suck gas too but at least you have the towing power to go with it.

The best route is a diesel. 17city on up to 23hwy is what I get with my one ton Crew Cab 4x4 Ford with 7.3 when not towing. The new 6.0 motor doesn't seem to get as good of mileage but has more power. I get 10 mpg towing my 34 ft 5th wheel with my ATV trailer behind it.

The Duramax and Cummins will also give you similar mileage and easily tow your setup.

Diesels are more money up front but the longer you keep it, the more it pays you back. And resale is higher.

Quick Reply: Which Truck??