Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Maintenance On A Duramax

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 10:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance On A Duramax

Hey, just wondering if anyone would give some enfo on what the duramax engines likes and some things I should consider while Im servicing my truck. I like to do what services and repairs I can do myself if possible. I have always owned gas burners and had them figured out for the most part. I have seen some advertisements suggesting with there desiel synthetic oil you dont need to change the oil but every 20,000 miles and the oil filter every 8-10,000 miles (AMSOIL is the brand). Is this true? My truck is a 2005 duramax desiel with a 6 speed manual transmission. Any enfo would be appricated. Thanks for your time.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I would search around the net for a Duramax forum. You'll probably then find enough information that you'll be reading opinions until your truck falls apart.

If you are going the route of long oil changes you'll want to get your oil checked by a testing company. Blackstone seems to be the choice of most people. You send them a sample from an oil change and then they suggest based on your sample when to change your oil again.

About the only thing I can think of off the top of my head that you would need to do in addition to normal maintenance you are used to with a gas truck is drain the water/fuel seperator. Usually that is done with the oil change. Also the fuel filter changes are usually done at the time of each oil change. I know that's with the Ford PSDs so YMMV. I'll have to ask a buddy what maintenance he does on his D/A.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 02-02-2005, 01:51 PM
Trailblazer

I change the oil on my Duramax every 5000 to 7500 miles depending on driving conditions. I've got about 70,000 miles on it and no major problems. It's a 2001 and I've had to replace both u-joints on the back drive shaft. The factory ones weren't greasable, my aftermarket ones are. They have lasted much longer, the fqactory ones didn't last 20,000 miles. I drive on a lot of gravel, probably about 40% of the miles have been on rough gravel roads, that's hard on stuff. As far as the engine, I've had no problems.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say 20,000 for oil changes is way too much. The most you can get with some of the higher end oils is maybe 12,000. But most of you basic brands like Shell would be roughly 7,500, and then change your fuel filter too. Go to this site, it is freakin awesome. http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php They will tell you everything you could possibly think of on the Duramax. I spend 90% of my life on that forum.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

OK, 20,000 miles is way too much. The way I look at it with mine and my customers, you just paid upwards of $40,000 for a truck that is built to last, do you feel safe about running the same oil for that long. I recommend 5,000 miles and do the fuel filter about every 15,000 miles. Keep a good air filter in it as any turbo diesel with a partially blocked filter will lose mileage and maybe do further damage as in a dusted turbo and possibly the motor.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:24 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say anywhere from 6K-9K depending on RPM's and load. Check it often though! I don't know if the newer models still have it but the Message Center on the dash will give you a pretty good idea of when it needs to be changed. The computer does a good job of calculating the temps, RPM's, length of actual time at high RPM's and some other things I can't remember to determine when to change it. The shortest time I can remember was right around 2300 miles(lots of uphill towing) and the longest was just around 9500( no towing at all)

Old 06-16-2005, 08:21 PM
TPR
The Champ

I know this thread is old, but I was looking as I am getting an 95 Chevy Duramax....

A couple of observations.....My father in law is a former Indy racer and team owner. They did a little test on their 2 new race team semi's.
One had the oil and filter changed regulary, the other just the filter and the oil was changed every 3rd change. When they took both rigs in for their first teardown service, there was no difference in engine wear between the two. The mechanics were shocked that the wear was the same.

He just retired an 87 Aerostar that had 315k miles and had had only 21 complete oil changes. Todays oils, espically synthetics are created to withstand extreme evironments, they don't get worked hard enough to break down real quick, as long as the filter is changed, the oil will stay good for much longer than the oil change places want us to believe.

TPR

Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 PM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

95 Duramax??? I thought they didn't make the Duramax 6.6 until 2001. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yah, you sure you don't mean 05? Unless it was a swap.

Old 06-18-2005, 01:07 AM
Eternal Rider
Building A Runway To Hell & Back!
The engine is the heart of an airplane, but the pilot is its soul. ~Walter Raleigh

It's more than likely a typo or TPR just checkin' to see who's payin' attention . He's like that you know . [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]