Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

5th wheel or Hitch pull ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5th wheel or Hitch pull ????

Want to purchase this year, we have a Titan and plan on getting a F-250 powerstroke next year. I would like to know which would be better for the Titan to pull ? Or some pros and cons between a 5th wheel and a hitch pull . We are looking at 26 to 28 footers.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

For the Titan, I would think a Travel Trailer would be better, you would run out of rear axle weight capacity real quick with a 5th wheel. Everyone says a 5th wheel pulls nicer. I have a 27 foot box Travel Trailer type toy hauler because I need/like keeping the bed of the truck open, plus I found it used for a good price and it fits our needs. With the F-250, the 5th wheel is probably the way to go, pulls better and more living room. Depends on if you plan on keeping the same trailer for the Titan and the F-250.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

5th wheel toy boxes are WAY too heavy to pull with a 1/2 ton truck. You can barely squeek in some small bumper tows. The 1/2 tons just don't have enough GVWR to do it.

I would wait till you get your truck before you get a trailer. And in all honesty, spend the extra $1,000 and move up to an F-350 SRW. You gain close to 1,000 pounds of payload capacity, which you will need with a 5th wheel.

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, buy a truck based on the advertised a trucks "trailer capacity", or a trailers "Dry Weight" or "Dry Pin/Tongue Weight." They are bogus information. Find a truck with enough GVWR and AWRs to handle the trailer based on it's GVWR. Take 20-25% of the trailers GVWR for the pin weight. Remember that a 5th wheel hitch can weigh a couple hundred pounds. Someone (on rv.net) purchased a Titan and an Attitude 19 footer based on the published Dry Weight. After weighing, and subsequent fighting, he sold his Titan (for a $4K loss) and got an '05 F-250SD PSD. The Attitude weighed in at least 2,000lbs heavier than what the literature said it did.

If you are buying new, the '05 Ford Super Duties have cranked up the capabilities. Get the Tow Boss package with integrated brake controller. If you are looking at a 5th wheel, pass up the '04 and older F-250s if you want 4x4. They just don't have enough GVWR.

the best route is to get an F-350 DRW if you are going to be pulling a 5th. Much more stable.

When you are looking for a trailer, demand to have it weighed (at a certified scale, i.e. a rock yard, dump, etc.). Remember, it's your money. Of course offer to pay for the weigh, but if the dealer tells you that you can weigh it after you buy it, tell him to shove it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info guys, went to the RV show a couple of weeks ago and sure enough they did say are Titan would pull a 26ft toy hauler, it was'nt a 5th wheel but I was pretty sceptical, cause he said it only weighed 6500 lbs. and the Titan would have no probs pulling it. Its my wifes truck and I would'nt want to screw it up with pulling a trailer, after all were pretty much stuck with it for the next 5 years. Looks like we will wait till its my turn to get a new truck.

Thanks again[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Titan is not rated to tow a fifthwheel, in fact it will likely void at least part of your warranty. The other thing to be extremely careful about is the TRUE hitch weight of the trailer. Even with the tow package, your max hitch wt is 910lbs, and max payload is a shade over 1400lbs. That payload has to include you and anyone/thing in the truck plus your hitch and tongue wt. You are wise to be skeptical, although there are definately toyhaulers out there your Titan can handle legally. Just make sure of your weights and don't necessarily believe the dealers or even the brochures.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Air Cooled Rider

Scooter is correct. Although brochures show the Titan with a 5th and a gooseneck, doing so will void the warranty. I didn't even think about that.

Here's a post from the guy who had weight issues with an Attitude:

My 23' Attitude weighs almost 7,000 lbs. dry (options-generator,fuel station,dual electric bunk beds). Sticker inside says 5320. Weighed on accurate scale. I shopped for a TH within the limits of the Nissan Titan I purchased two weeks prior. Long story short, I had to sell the Titan ($4700 loss!!!) and buy a bigger truck. The dealer nor Eclipse was willing to buy the trailer back, still new and unused. I would NEVER buy from dealer again nor buy an Eclipse product. After looking closer at my Attitude, they are not of very good quality as far as assembly.
Know the weights and your limits if you want to be legal on the road.
BE CAREFUL and good luck!
Link to thread on rv.net That's on page 2. There's a previous page.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BlackandRed, good info. actually, I was just to stinkin tired and didn't even read your first post. That is pretty unusual for me. Whew, at least we are on the same wavelength. I like the Titan, was pretty high on it after I test drove one. In the real world though they are just lacking in the payload department to haul any kind of toy box, fifth wheel, or larger travel trailer(like all 1/2 ton trucks.) Still is a fun truck to drive though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2005, 02:47 AM
Air Cooled Rider

RV.net is a REALLY good site if you are looking for info. The Toy Hauler forum is pretty active over there. I've picked up quite a bit over there in just knowledge and I play a Weight **** there as well. LOL.

So many people just disregard stuff, but you can run into problems. A coworker had to leave a flatbed trailer with a Ditch Witch on it on the side of the highway after he got stopped and didn't have a Class A license (16K+ trailer GVWR). CHP is a little more lax on RVs but you never know when you're gonna get an officer who just caught his wife in bed with his partner... They usually just tell people they are outta class and send em on their way. If you are caught a long way from home, that could be an expensive tow bill. We had the local Ditch Witch service company go retrieve the trailer. That probably was a 2.5-3 hr round trip for them...I'm sure that's not going to be cheap.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:03 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior CHP is a little more lax on RVs but you never know when you're gonna get an officer who just caught his wife in bed with his partner
B&R, I can't believe you think that happens[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

I was in the same boat as you. But, I had a 2000 Z-71.Towing capacity on it was 6,400 lbs (If I remember correctly) anyways, it wasn't enough for what I wanted. A 26' FS Weekend Warrior. After weighing everything, I realized it was not up to par to pull a 26 footer. Just with my toys in the bed and our 21 foot trailer, I was over on the rear axles weight and total weight between the two vehicles was 12,500 lbs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Just not safe.

I initially wanted a pull trailer, because, I too like an open bed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] But, after the tongue weight is added in to the equation[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I wouldn't be able to put anything of significant weight in the bed anyways[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] So, I've decided to go with a 5th wheel[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] they are sooo much nicer and pull a lot better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Good Luck on your decision[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Black and Red speaks the truth !!!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST !!! Youll be VERY happy you did.

I have a F250 7.3 W/ a 6speed . I tow a rampage 29' 5th wheel and when loaded its right around 11,500 . now at 20% my pin weight in the bed is just over a 2300# ... Even with airbags on my truck Im over loaded and right at the max of my "D" rated tires. Im also a couple of hundred pounds over my combined truck & trailer load of 20,000.
so you see it doesnt take much to exceed what you have .......... Get the F350 SWR at least !!

Bumper tow VS 5th wheel is no comparison...... Youll always be happier with the 5th wheel.

Check out the www.thedeiselstop.com for some first rate towing info !!!!