Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Brought the trailer home Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought the trailer home Tuesday

I put up some new pics of the trailer and quads. The trailer is exactly what I wanted except for the ramp-tailgate. The wind was blowing about 25 to 30 mph straight out of the East. I had to drive about 80 miles east then about 25 miles South to get home. I drove the IN-OH turnpike east to get home. The trailer dealer was about 1/4 mile off of the turnpike. It trailered very well except going into that headwind and driving 65 mph was to much. That ramp grabs alot of air. Wednesday after work my son and I took off the ramp-tailgate so I could see how much of a difference it would make. The wind was the same as it was the day before. It was like night and day difference.I have decided to modify the ramp-tailgate by cutting it to half of it's height and taking off the expanded metal. I have atv ramps so I don't need to use the tailgate as a ramp. I have the expanded metal just about all off and I'm headed back out to the shop to get back at it.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice looking trailer - looks very light.

Interesting about the drag on the ramp. I have a larger steel trailer with a 6' tall x 7' wide ramp and have never noticed any drag on it - but I'm towing with a much larger engine than your S10. Still, I just might take a shot at hinging it down in the middle if it means that much drag.

If you do any more testing with and without the ramp, poat your results here.

Jaybee

Old 04-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jaybee, I'm going to take it to work this next week and weigh it. When I get done with the tailgate it will be about 3 or 4 inches higher than the side rails on the trailer. The expanded metal will also be gone.