Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Durmax or Power Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durmax or Power Stroke

hey Z1500 do u happen to know anything about the 8100 gas motor chev makes with the allison trans ?

Old 05-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Nothing wrong with the 8.1L it just sucks gas like you wouldn't believe. And if you're looking used just note the first couple years of the Allison trans had some issues and a drive shaft problem. But diesel’s are the way to go for big towing jobs. I personally wouldn’t get a big gas motor like that. I asked one of my Dodge buddies today about the 6spd and he said it just needs an upgraded clutch to be totally bullet proof.

So what and how often are you going to be towing?

Kevin

Old 05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Range Rover

dodge has stopped all sales of trucks with 6spds in them because of recall so there 6spd aint so kick *** anymore for now.... PSD has the worst tranny? theres nothing wrong with fords tranny in the new PSD's or the 7.3 Mine has 154,000 and some change on it and it was owned by a construction company so you know its pulled about every day and its still kickin. The duramax allison combo aint too bad the trucks ungly and i hate how small the inside is. I'd accually buy a dodge before a chevy.

I own a 2000 PSD and a ford guy so i'm gonna say ford, i wouldn't go with any gas motor if your gonna tow alot.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:40 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the last several years my 8.1 averaged 9.5MPG - combined city/highway. That's for a long bed extra cab 4x4 that also has the windage of a ladder rack and a full load of tools and toolboxes. The truck weights in at exactly 8,000 lbs. with just me in it. Gas prices have finally forced me to slow down by about 10 mph all around - MPG's have gone up to around 10.5 to 10.75 because of this. Highway trailering (~5,000 lbs for trailer and quads) runs between low 7's and low 8's at about 65 mph.

This is my first vehicle in almost 30 years that has an automatic transmission. Love the Allison and will not go back to straight shift. The 8.1 is a good, strong motor that easily pulls whatever I need it to - even so, the next one will be a Duramax.

Jaybee

Old 05-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Dodge just changed tranny suppliers on the 6 spd. manual. They were previously supplied by New Venture which was their own tranny company that they spun off. They now source the manual trannies from Getrag.

There was a recall on the Ford TorqueShift transmission for model year 2004 (2nd year of production) for some clip in it. From what I've heard from the couple people who have them they are as good as the Allison.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 05-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

So what and how often are you going to be towing?
Well i live on a farm... but its my dads money so he's the one buyin it but he doesnt know exactly what he wants and i would like him to get the durmax or 8.1... but we have a 7 by 24 foot feather lite steel livestock trailor that gets pulled problly 2 ta 3 times a week with are 94 chevy dually with a 454 and to cattle shows on the weekends and in the spring it pulls the seed tender

Old 05-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

if your pulling a couple times a week get a diesel......... you won't regret it..... My stepdad has the ford V10 and i think hes really regretting getting it just because it gets horrible mileage, pulling our horse trailer empty he only gets 8 miles to gallon. I get 14 pulling it if i don't run her hard. This is my first diesel and i will tell you this i'll probly never go back to a gas motor in a truck, as i will probly never own anything but a superduty. I love the truck, and i will say i'm not real impressed with the 6.0 but its still a pretty good motor i just am partial to the 7.3 its a workhorse. I'm trying to think i have only really heard one bad thing about the 8.1 other than crappy mileage and i'm think it was that they burn oil with very low miles on them.

a diesel will handle towing better than a gas, they last longer get better mileage loaded or unloaded to means theres no contest on what to get its a no brainer. You wouldn't even have to get a brand new one.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

derag2... everyone around this country seems to have a power stroke or a durmax or a 6.5 but i was highly disopointed at the truck pull when only one power stroke made it across the line and a 6.5 chevy dually beat him ?? but that has nothing to do with lasting of a truck... i dont like fords but they seem to last the longest down the road then any old 6.5 can... the best truck we have ever had has been are 94 dually with 187000 miles and have only put a rear end in it the whole time we have had it but with gas prices is kinda hard on a check book running that thing around... does anyone know what the durmax is gettin for diesel milage
?

Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditch -

Take a look here:

http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

Old 05-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: DitchPickle
we have a 7 by 24 foot feather lite steel livestock trailor that gets pulled problly 2 ta 3 times a week with are 94 chevy dually with a 454
I bet that's a pretty heavy trailer when loaded up with critters. I've done a bit of towing with that same truck you have now and a 5,000lb trailer. Then changed to a newer ¾ton 6.0L chevy. No joke the 6.0L would totally out tow the old 454, just from the newer technology. Any of the newer diesel trucks or the 8100 will tow 10x better when it comes to consistent power. I would just recommend you go diesel, from there pick which truck you like. They’re all good work trucks.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Durmax or Power Stroke