Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Dodge to come out with monster torque diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge to come out with monster torque diesel

My friend who works for one of, if not the biggest Dodge dealer in the USA, recently got back from Detroit where he learned that Dodge will have a diesel that kicks out about 800 ft pounds of torque before to long. A new tranny will accompany the new diesel. He did not know what the expected horse power will be. They will also be adding 450 and 550 model trucks. Thats all the info I received.

Old 05-22-2005, 03:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

thats right, the next generation will be like a 6.5 lit 450 hp, 800 tq- stock. The 600 series that came out in 2004.5, which i have will be replaced, this is what i have read.

Old 05-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

I thought I heard the the new engine will only be in the 4500-5500

Old 08-06-2005, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer

I couldn't find anything about this anywhere. Got any links to some info? Its almost time to trade in my 2001 Dodge 4x4 w/CTD

Old 08-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Wayback40
My friend who works for one of, if not the biggest Dodge dealer in the USA, recently got back from Detroit where he learned that Dodge will have a diesel that kicks out about 800 ft pounds of torque before to long.
Cool....
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer

getting 800 pound-ft of torque is one thing, but designing a tranny to harness all that power is a whole different story in itself! maybe if they tweaked an allison tranny, but allison is a chevy/gmc thing. intresting tho

Old 08-08-2005, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These diesel HP/TQ wars between the manufacturers is getting out of hand. Every generation mileage goes down as a result. At $3+ a gallon here in California these things are looking less appealing by the day.

IF the manufacturers are going to continue these silly bragging wars, they need to come out with a lower HP/TQ alternative diesel with fuel economy in mind. Not all of us tow 10K+ pounds, but would still like a 3/4 ton diesel that gets good mileage.

Old 08-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: BloodyRomance
getting 800 pound-ft of torque is one thing, but designing a tranny to harness all that power is a whole different story in itself! maybe if they tweaked an allison tranny, but allison is a chevy/gmc thing. intresting tho
The transmissions are out there. They just need to figure out how to stuff one in a Class 2 and Class 3 trucks. Autos are available even in Class 8 trucks. I know Eaton makes then (AutoShift). I'm sure that Allison has something as well.

Allison, although owned by GM, supplies trannies to anyone. Ford drops Allison 6-sp autos into the F-650 & F-750 trucks.

Now the big thing is to get sticks that can handle the power. They've gotten the autos there, now they need to source sticks. Maybe it's a clutch issue.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: DSengineer
These diesel HP/TQ wars between the manufacturers is getting out of hand. Every generation mileage goes down as a result. At $3+ a gallon here in California these things are looking less appealing by the day.

IF the manufacturers are going to continue these silly bragging wars, they need to come out with a lower HP/TQ alternative diesel with fuel economy in mind. Not all of us tow 10K+ pounds, but would still like a 3/4 ton diesel that gets good mileage.
The thing is most people pulling just look at the HP/TQ numbers. They care about beating their buddy up the Grapevine, Cuesta, etc. Then they use the MPG to justify things...if at all.

The thing is that diesels are getting so popular now (I think Ford sells about 500,000 PSD a year...and that's about 1/2 the market..but I could be wrong...I know they have over 1/2 the market) that the demand is way up. I know over on the coast this weekend #2 was running about $3.20 a gallon. In Fresno, it's anywhere from $2.70-$3.20. But even regular gas is up high. 87 octace was 2.499 last night (was like 2.459 at the same station when I filled up on Fri. morning.) But you're still going to be spending less overall because of the mileage. #2 also never went down over the summer like it usually does. Going to be nasty this coming winter I bet.

We really need to get som refineries built, but nobody wants one anywhere they live, and the environmantalist wouldn't let one be built out in the middle of nowhere.

What I would really like to see is a diesel in a 1/2 ton. Roumers used to be of a V6 PSD in the F-150. I think this was the motor that ended up in Ford's city truck line. I pulled out 19.2 MPG this weekend (Fresno to Pismo round trip on 17+ gallons 340+ miles) with a 4.6 V-8. I think 30MPG would definately be doable.

I remember last year or so when #2 was running about $2.50 or less and biodiesel (B100) was running $3.50. Nobody thought it was economical enough...I'm thinking come winter it just might be. Unless crude drops here shortly, I would expect to see #2 passing 3.50, maybe even 4.00 if we get a cold winter. And IIRC, crude topped $63/bbl this morning.

CNN Market Link
U.S. light crude oil for September delivery closed at a record $63.94 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange, after hitting a record trading high of $64 during the session. The latest jump in prices occurred after the U.S. embassy in Saudi Arabia was closed due to security threats.
Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DSengineer
These diesel HP/TQ wars between the manufacturers is getting out of hand. Every generation mileage goes down as a result. At $3+ a gallon here in California these things are looking less appealing by the day.IF the manufacturers are going to continue these silly bragging wars, they need to come out with a lower HP/TQ alternative diesel with fuel economy in mind. Not all of us tow 10K+ pounds, but would still like a 3/4 ton diesel that gets good mileage.
I agree 100%. I always looked at diesel fuel economy as one of the determining factors of purchasing a diesel over a gas engine. I would like to see more fuel efficient diesel engines available in more trucks AND cars.

Quick Reply: Dodge to come out with monster torque diesel