Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailering your ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering your ATV

all i use to secure the front of mine is the winch then click the parking brake on and one tie down on the back. i winch the front end down so the front suspension compresses about 3 to 4 inches and have never had a problem it is quick and in my book safer then using just all tie downs. and i look at it this way if it falls off i guess that is what insurance is for. and if you compress the suspension when you winch it down the atv can't bounce at all well i guess i have stiff 6-ply tires to but the atv will move with the trailor.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailering your ATV

I used to be a trailer dealer. I've seen so many shady towing schemes it's not even funny. All I've got to say is that there is a reason why ratchet straps exist. Personally I use a big 10,000 pound ratchet strap going from a ring on the tongue to the front bumper which pulls it tight up against the front rail then compresses the suspension a little, then another smaller 3,000 pound ratchet strap wrapped around the rear grab bar and tied to rings in the back, then I put another strap just for backup through the frame in the middle.

Here are a few pointers:

1. Never trust a single tie down point, especially the front one. Whether you use a winch or chain or strap, always have a backup in case the main point of contact fails, because sooner or later, somebody's will. Straps can slip, anything can break, hooks can be dislodged, etc.

2. Try to use D-rings or other metal loops then use a ratchet strap that has a spring loaded catch on the hooks. Sooner or later something will shake loose a little and you may get some slack in the tie downs. If you have a simple hook that it latched on to a metal edge, the strap can come completely off. This is more important if you tie down the body of your ATV or Jeep instead of the axles because if you hit a big enough of a bump, your suspension can compress even more, and your straps/chains will be loose for a split second even if they normally seem tight.

3. Try to use straps instead of chains. Even fairly weak straps are often rated at 3,000 pounds but I have a fairly big chain and it's only rated at 2,700 pounds. A very lightweight strap is probably stronger than your winch line.

4. If using straps, make sure there are enough wraps around the center of the ratchet mechanism to provide enough friction so that it doesn't slip out. Just a couple of wraps can make the strap slip out.

5. Constantly check your trailer. First check it about 2 miles after you pull out of the driveway, then check it again about 10 miles later. You'll be surprised at how much slack can accumulate on certain loads. Most horror stories about people losing whatever they were towing could be prevented if they would have just stopped and check the tie down tension periodically.

6. Use common sense when towing, be careful. Most towing accidents happen because people try to drive their same idiodic way that they normally do, and that doesn't work. Do not violently weave from one lane to another, ever. This is what usually causes the fishtailing.

7. The second biggest reason for wrecks is that people don't have their tongue weight correct. ATV's on small trailers kind of limit your options but otherwise you must balance your trailer correctly. Too much tongue weight and your front tires don't have enough traction and you can't steer well, too little tongue weight and you get the tail wagging the dog, in that the trailer can make your back end slide around.