Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

american freedom trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default american freedom trailer

No, I bought it at an auction, but I am sure it came from a dealer. The paperwork is at the office, when I get back next week I'll look it up and let you know where it came from.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

A quick couple of questions that I hope someone can reply to:

What is the white swith (with the red light) for that is directly below the sink in my AF trailer? (It saya "Atwood" on it which I assume is who makes the switch.)

What is the timer switch for that is below this switch? (Could this be for the gas pump??)

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

AF trailers are manufactured in Riverside Ca. Some are sold under differant trailer names such as Sandstorm. I am On my second one.I outgrew my 23 ft. FCB.and just got the 28 ft front bed. Like all the manufactures, they are gonna have there initial little bugs in them. Its just somrthing we as consumers have to deal with unfortunetly.I had a buddy with a $ 50 K top of the line Weekend Warrior and on his first trip his trailer brakes locked on him due to faulty wiring and and one of the hinges for the back lift gate was broke. So really it comes with the territory. The biggest issue I have had so far is a leaky sink and the cold water line on the sink vibrated loose.not a big deal in my opinion.

2007 susuki ltr 450
honda 450 ex
raptor 80
ttr 90
rhino lifted
28 ft. AF hauler
chevy 4x4 crew cab

Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Trailblazer

The white switch with red on it is for the HOT WATER HEATER ignition switch.When the hot water heater lights the light will go off.If the light ever comes on after it is lit that means the burner has gone out, maybe due to wind or lack of propane You should be able to hear it make a click ( thats the gas solenoid opening ) then hear the burner ignite.make sure you have water in the holding tanks before you attempt to do this.The timer switch YES is for the fuel pump. It will only operate when this timer is on.This prevents your gas from being stolen when you are not around.There is also a on/off switch at the pump itself under the trailer.It can stay on all the time. but somtimes, it is accidentally turned off at the factory. Hope this will help you, let me know if you need help with anything else.I am on my second AF hauler .

" SHUT UP AND JUST RIDE IT "

Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS!!

Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

fourwheelnmama,

Sorry for the delay. The dealer who purchased my trailer from AF was:

B&L RV
11 Quinta Ct.
Sacramento, CA 95823
http://www.bandlrv.com/

I'll follow up on our first trip. We ran into a few problems too that I really think should not have occured.

Old 10-12-2006, 05:57 PM
Trailblazer

Yes ,,please keep us posted.Mine is gonna go into the shop asap due to the screws coming out of the wall where the couch screws into it.I have had mine for two years know and this is my first real big problem.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Okay,

I'll try and keep this short. We left last Friday and returned on Sunday. This was our first trip. Overall, the trailer is great, but we realized it has some shortcomings that I should have thought about prior to the purchase. My fault, not necessarily theirs. There is no storage space in the bathroom at all, so no place to store toothbrushes, combs, or even TP. The unit does not have a mirror anywhere, I guess this is to keep you from looking at yourself since you don't have a comb or brush in the bathroom. :-) There is limited storage space for clothes, but this has to be a limitation of most "toy haulers." There are some staples that seem to be pulling out of the wall in the bathroom, but I have not looked closely enough at this to determine if it is anything to worry about. One oddity which I think I would have noticed before, but it seems as if there are two areas on the outside of the tailgate that match the tread width of my ATV. I can't believe that this is due to riding these things in here two times only, but I can't really explain what else would have caused this. Anyway, those are the minor things. The real problems are as follows:

1) The brakes have issues. When I apply the brakes in the truck, on of the rear trailer brakes with grab much harder/faster than the others. In some instances it will lock the trailer wheel up causing the tire to stop spinning and produces a nice gray cloud of smoke. People in other vehicles seemed to give me strange looks when this occurred.

2) At our first rest stop, I noticed water dripping underneath the trailer. This seemed to be coming from a plumbing junction. I tightened a few hose clamps and this seemed to stop the leak.

3) When we got to our destination, I turned on the propane tanks and the regulator didn't seem to want to work. After messing around with them for about 20 minutes, I finally got the little green indicator to pop up on one of the tanks and decide we could switch tanks later if we used that one up.

4) When we first used the heater, it smoked and continually set off the fire alarm. My guess is that this was due to being new and never used before and that after about 15 - 20 minutes of use, this stopped smoking. It worked great the first night. The second night, not so great. It would act like it wanted to turn on, you could hear it clicking, but would not seemed not to want to light. I got nervous after hearing it trying to light several times and decide to turn it off altogether. I may have been overly paranoid about fire, but you will know why later on. We did get it working again the next morning, but it seemed to run very hot and again smoked a little. Not as bad as before, but enough to be annoying.

4) The generator worked great but seems to make a rattling noise when under load. It also seems (to me) to run pretty hot. The instruction decal inside the unit by the switches has all its edged curled in due to the heat. Maybe this is just a defect in the material used for the decal...

5) The hot water heater worked as per blown450 instructions. (Thanks again.) I turned it on and it sounds like it was working normally. For whatever reason, about 20 minutes later I decided to go around to the other side of the trailer to get something out of the storage compartment. When I got there there was an orange flickering light coming from behind the panel that goes over the hot water heater. I opened it up and found that the insulation material around the propane line was on fire and burning its way to the interior of the trailer. I hastily blew the fire out. I could not figure out why this had caught on fire (and was exceedingly lucky that I happened to go back there when I did) so I got a friend to come over an take a look. Unable to figure out what caused this we tried to re-light the heater with a butane lighter. Suddenly the thing lit, but it wasn't the heater, it was the propane line where the fitting attached to the unit itself. It seems the guys at the factory had not tightened the fitting properly and so it was leaking propane and that is what had cught on fire and then caused the insulation material to catch. I tightened it down and that stopped the leak. However, the hot water heater doesn't work anymore and I'm not sure why. None of the electrical wires or components were burned. The red light inside the trailer do not come on any longer now either. There is a fuse inside the heater panel, but it looks fine. Could there be another fuse someplace that I am not aware of??

So, I need to check a few things out. Other than that, it worked great! (The gas fill station is a great option that is really nice to have.) Hopefully I can get them fixed before our nest trip in November...

Old 10-12-2006, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

One more thing I just remembered, the blinds on the large window come down about 6 inches short of the bottom of the window. Nice oversight from the factory...

Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 AM
Trailblazer

wOOOOW thats all I have to say. I am sorry to hear about the problems that you had.It makes for an interesting trip though. Let me address some off the issues you had and maybe give you a reasoning or an opinion. some of the issues are definetly a factory fix, like the blinds and maybe a bad hot water heater.

1. The issue with the regulator on the tanks is always an issue, mine works weather or not the little green indicator is working or not. Always remember that propane on these or any trailer moves slow through the lines. So when you turn it on it takes awhile to reach certain things. My hotwater heater had similar symtems but without the unsulation on fire. It was because my propane tank was about gone. You have to remeber that certain appliances require a minimum # of BTU's to stay running, that may have been the source of the problem for the hotwater heater always trying to lite . The loose fitting didnt help either.the copper line that runs to the hot water heater is exposed on the outside just below the heater, mine was crimped when I got my trailer.

2.Your brake issue sounds like you just need to adjust the brake controller.The controller should have a **** on it that you can increase or decrease the the amount of braking that ingauges on the trailer. When the trailer is hooked up take it for a spin and apply the brakes, obviously if its locking up , its to sensative, you need to back off the controller a bit.Keep adjusting it till you feel the the brakes ingauge. it is gonna take a few trys till you get the brakes dialed in.

3. As far as a fuse for the hot water heater I believe there is one on the main panel under the fridge as well.
4. As with most haulers space is a concern.except for the higher end models. The cabinet for the clothes is a bit small.That spot barely hold my stuff.the wife and kids just put there stuff in a suitcase.
4. As far as the generators go, I personally dont care for the generators that are in the trailers.I ordered mine without one due to the high markup fora generator.I went a bought a Honda EU 3000, it is really quiet.

5. the tread indention on the back lift gate is what I think you are talking about, I have the same problem on mine,although mine is barely noticeable.I dont have an answer for that one.

Hope you get the issues fixed soon and have a better trip next time.Keep us posted on the fixes and other issues, hopefully you dont have anymore. One more thing, due to the beatings theses rigs go thru and the vibrations I tighten all the srews and copper fittings like everyother trip or so.Thats just a habit I have, stuff is gonna work its way loose.Other that factory problems , we as consumers have to do routine maintenance on them to keep them working.Take care of it and it will take care of you, is my philosophy. good luck keep in touch.

Chevy crew cab 4x4
28 ft AF hauler
2007 susuki ltr 450
2005 honda 450 ex
2005 raptor 80
2005 ttr 90
2005 blue rhino

Quick Reply: american freedom trailer