Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

american freedom trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default american freedom trailer

Thanks,

Regarding item #2, is this brake controller on the trailer or are you refering to the one in the truck?

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Trailblazer

I am talking about the controller on the the truck.It should have some sort of adjustment on .so you can change the sensativity.I am assuming that you do have a controller for your trailer in the truck.you have to buy it and usually the trailer place will install it.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, there is a controller in the truck, it was installed by the previous owner. I just wanted to make sure this is what you were talking about.

Thanks again!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Trailblazer

like i said it sounds like the controller is set to sensative or engauging to soon.The trailer brakes should just grab before the truck so that the trucks brakes are not absorbing all the load.It take a little doing to get them dialed in. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm noticing that you have an American Freedom hauler. My husband and I are checking out a lot of different types and were impressed with the AF for the same reason most are....the price. We are, however, a little concerned for a couple things. 1) its a fairly new hauler so don't have a lot of feedback about its quality. and 2) it only has a one year warranty, which every other type so far has had a warranty for the life of the loan(10-12yrs). How do you like yours? Any major problems? We have two small children and can't afford to get into a "money pit" on wheels. Please let me know.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Trailblazer

Is it possible to get 4 quads, on the AF toy box?

Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wanted to update eveyone onthe situation with my AMerican Freedom Sandblaster Toyhauler. It is a piece of C@#$. I actually wrote AF back adn updated themonthe very very long list of continuing problems we have had and they basically told me that anything that is touched by a human has the chance to be imperfect and that I basically got what I paid for. This was from the operations manager. He said the one year warranty was up and the dealer had never once brought any of the issues to thier atteneiton and there was nothing they were going to do about it. I pulled it out of storage on Mothers Day to find the siding had started popping off. The walls were full fo leaves, bird feathers and bugs. Who knows how much rain water got in there as well. I don't know who was builidng this triler but whoever it was was either having a really bad day or was on something because the list of issues is just endlesss.
Has anyone looked at thier website lately? It talks about quality etc etc. Even thier link in this magazine talks about that.
Well I have not let this one go, I am considering legal action. Hell the Dealer is the one that told me it was a lemon last time I took in for repairs, on my dollar.
Don't buy from American Freedom. I am dumping this one as soon as I can.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats good to know fourwheelmama. My husband and I are seriously considering buying an American Freedom. We're pretty hesitant (especially my hubby), so this is definately good info. Everyone else seems to like theirs so much, and except for minor probs. there has been positive feedback. Sorry for your troubles and please update us on whats going on with you.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where do I begin?
Our maiden voyage found us spending the first night in our trailer in the Yuba City Walmart parking lot. We were pulled over for having no running lights on the trailer. Nothing we seemed to do made them work. We ended up driving to our desitination during daylight hours. But that weekend the sink leaked, the stove broke and we had propane tank issues, the screen door fell apart and the handle fell off the cargo door. All of the blinds kept falling down and the strut on the rear bunk came off. We went to leave on Sunday only to find that the fuel pump in the truck had beenshorted out. Chevy still swears it was a surge from the trailer issue. That trip cost us over $700 in tow and repairs. We had to abandon the trailer in Lassen National Park and come back a week later to retrieve it. Drove it home to Sac, the dealer found the wriring so bad they could not beleive the trailer had not caught on fire.
Throughout the next year we continued to have propane regulator issues. It was replaced twice, we still have a bad tank. The rear vent handle came off and after it was fixed improperly it broke the first time we opend it,now I have a cracked vent. The blinds continue to fall down. the other handle on the cargo door came off. The city water valve input broke and flooded the trailer leaving water stains on the base of all of the paneling. The toilet has issues and continually clogs. The shelf in the shower was not caulked properly and has been leaking water behind the kitchen cabinets. The outdoor shower broke back behind the valves. All the handles and latches on the cabinets had to be repositioned as the cabinet doors tweeked everytime we opened them. The door on the water input has a striker that is too short and it will not stay closed. Any gust of wind blows it open right up against the refrigerator vent and it is melted. When we pulled it out of storage the siding had started popping off during the winter and the area behind the wall is now missing insulation, is full of leaves, dead bugs and bird feathers.
"Doug" whom everyone talks so highly of , said tough luck ,warranty expired, you get what youpay for. He also said that "They do take pride in thier workmanship and attention to detail while constructing the trailers however with anything built by humans there is always a chance for something to be forgotten or installed improperly, but for the price....."

I can understand that one or two items may go wrong but this is ridiculous. He states that my local dealer had never filed any warranty claims and therefore has no record of my problems.
I am now starting to sink moneyinto this thing that I don't want to. I just want it all fixed but they won't do a thing. I am so ready to dump it.