Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Avalanche Towing Question, Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avalanche Towing Question, Please

Hey Everybody,

I just joined, and have a towing question. I did do some searching, and I'm still in the dark. I have a Chevy Avalanche (1500) with a max tow of 7,900 to 8,100 lbs. Here's the problem, it's lifted 6 inches running 35s on 18 inch wheels. I have 4.11 gearing. I am looking into the WW 23' lite, or the sister megalite 23'. Just two sport quads, water, gas, gear, food, BEER! Can I safely tow this? I've seen every answer to the half ton trucks when people ask. Red and Black Warrior always has good towing answers so could you please respond, along with everyone else. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Tanman622
Hey Everybody,

I just joined, and have a towing question. I did do some searching, and I'm still in the dark. I have a Chevy Avalanche (1500) with a max tow of 7,900 to 8,100 lbs. Here's the problem, it's lifted 6 inches running 35s on 18 inch wheels. I have 4.11 gearing. I am looking into the WW 23' lite, or the sister megalite 23'. Just two sport quads, water, gas, gear, food, BEER! Can I safely tow this? I've seen every answer to the half ton trucks when people ask. Red and Black Warrior always has good towing answers so could you please respond, along with everyone else. Thanks.
Since you've seen my previous posts, go find the equations to work with. The biggest thing is that you are going to need to derate the tow capacity because of the gearing issue you've got going on (you can correct for that with gears). You'll also need to make sure the wheels and tires are rated high enough for the weight that will be put on them.

What's the stock gearing? Did you change gears? (If you didn't, make that the first thing to get things back to somewhat normal. Look around on the net for a gearing calculator. Check the 4x4 sites, and google will probably find you one as well. You can usually put in your stock gear/tire, and what you've got now for tire and find out what gear you need to bring it back to stock. If you were 4.11 stock, you're probably going to need in the 4.50 area (whatever the GM gear ratio at that size is available.) The gear change will also correct your speedometer if it's off.

If powerstroke01 sees this maybe he can post up where to find the calculator. IIRC, his Jeep was 3.55 on like 28" tires or so (dead stock). He went to 35" with 4.56 gears and is now geared way low (his city mileage is better than highway mileage), but is very useful for 4x4 crawling.

Do know that you will be down on power because you will be having to turn the axtra weight of the larger tire and wheel combo. It will probably also take more to stop, because the tires will store up energy and start releasing that energy when you brake.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

take your tow rating and cut in half, when you add in the lift kit, you also add wind drag , with the wheel sand tire combo, and factor in the altitude/grade factors you may encounter, you have really hamstrung yourself.