Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Brake Controller???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Controller???

I need to get a brake controller installed. Where do I go to have this system installed? Is it a difficult job to do?
Thanks!

Old 02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

It's easy to do it your self. Just installed a new one in my truck ... took about 3 hours (most of that time to run the cables from the rear to the front).

Just WATCH the colors of the wires and follow the instructions ... they don't follow normal auto wiring ... RV's seam to use their own color code.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of vehicle are you putting it on? Chances are the install may only be a 20 minute job depending on what you already have.

Give me complete details. Year, make, model, and whether or not it has a factory tow package on it.

Thanks,

Buck

Old 03-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Trailblazer

Installation depends on the truck. My 02 F150 FX4 has a plug outlet under the dash by the gas pedal. Bought a prodigy controller (excellent) and bought the wire harness for my year truck and just pluggeg one end in the back of the controller and one end to the truck outlet and done.

Chris

Old 03-01-2006, 01:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Install will depend on if your truck has tow pack, in which case there should already be a 7 pin RV plug at the back bumper, supplied with power, turn/brake, and running lights, and there will be another plug under the dash for the controller.

Inertia sensing, and timer based controllers basically plug into the socket under the dash, and mount the bracket for the controller. As noted, do not match wires on controller and the connector on the truck by color. Often a controller can be ordered for a particular brand of tow vehicle, so that the controller already has the mating plug installed with the wires in the correct positions.

A couple of controllers on the market sense the actual application of the tow vehicle's brake system and are more complicated (but work better). BrakeSmart T's a sensor into the brake system. It's solid state pressure transducer doesn't displace fluid, so it is compatable with ABS. Jordan's Ultima uses a linkage and sensor that attaches to the brake pedal.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I wasn't more specific on what I was installing this on. I've purchased a 16' trailer with brakes and a 7 pin round plug. The tow vehicle will be a 04 Chevy Colorado. It doesn't have an official tow package. Currently has a Cat3 hitch with a 4 prong flat plug that was installed by Uhaul.

I need to set a controller up to work on this vehicle and I do understand that the flat plug is probably out if I choose the brakes.

Thank you!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You are correct in that the flat 4 prong plug does not allow for brakes, or for charging the trailer's battery.

W/O factory tow package, you will likely be better off picking up an aftermarket wiring kit in addition to a brake controller.

Generally the kit will come with the plug under the dash for the controller, the plug for the rear bumper, wiring, fuses, relays and instructions...

If you don't feel like messing with it yourself, an RV shop or U-Haul would likely be able to take care of it.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

Where can I buy an aftermarket wiring kit?

Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

You don't need a "kit". All you need is pretty much what you already have.

Someone mentioned buying a plug for under the dash. I don't know what part of "the truck does not have that option" they didn't understand.

Would you like my phone number at my shop so I can talk you through it? I do this for a living. Did three of them just today.

Buck