Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Off beat idea???

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Off beat idea???

A guy I work with has an old 1970's 16ft travel trailer, single axle the old fashioned ones with a stove and gravity driven sink, nothing else......sleept 2-3. Anyway, its old but seems pretty sound and I had an idea. Could a steel mesh platform be welded on the back just big enough to fit a quad or could the tounge be lengthened and a something done to the front? They have the pop up campers with room for a quad on the front, that is where I got the idea. My thoughts are I could carry a quad on the trailer and in the back of my pickup and still have something to camp in other then a tent. Poormans "toy hauler" LOL.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off beat idea???

Adding something like that is going to upset the balance of the trailer somewhat. Still, you might be able to load enough weight opposite the quad to keep it balanced. The big question is will the frame be able to handle the weight? I know the newer "lightweight" trailers can't even accomodate a bike rack on the rear bumper! Putting it on the tongue would probably be the safest way, as trailers tow ugly if they don't have enough tongue weight. I wouldn't mind having one of those trailers with the front rack either[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Off beat idea???

Yeah, my concern was how balanced the trailer would be. I'm gonna take the pictures of it to a place that builds trailers and see what they think, although they'll PROBABLY tell me it won't work and try to talk me into buying a new trailer....Happened to a friend, he went to a trailer place to get two fenders for a flat trailer he and I made from an old trailer frame..guy tried telling him there was no way we could get it registered blah, blah, blah.....ALMOST had my buddy talked into a new trailer till he called me and I told him it was all BS, my other friend had just registered a homemade trailer I had made the year before with no fenders and no problems. I think the extended tounge might be the best option but not sure if I'll find a place that will do it for me.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Off beat idea???

Yeah, I have a homemade trailer also. Seems like the DMV doesn't really care that much about these since they are being towed, not driven. I have also seen trailers with extended tongues, I am sure you can find someone to do it for you.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Off beat idea???

I work with a guy that welded a platform onto the back of his 5th wheel to haul a sportster. I know it weighs more then a quads. he used c channel 7 feet back into the frame so that he would have no trouble with it stressing appart. granted the platform sticks further out for a quad then it would for a bike pulling the weight farther back but with a 5th wheel there is already a lot of pin weight. i would keep the quad as close to the back of the trailer and it sould be fine. My co-worker said he has no problems and he can not even notice the extra weight.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Default Off beat idea???

but with a 5th wheel there is already a lot of pin weight. i would keep the quad as close to the back of the trailer and it sould be fine. My co-worker said he has no problems and he can not even notice the extra weight. >>>>>>>>>

Hey, thanks for the response but this isn't a 5th wheel, it's simply an old fashon pull trailer, I'm prob. just gonna pick it up either way since it's pretty cheap, could use a little extra storage anyway. I'm thinking if anything extending the tounge might be the best option as it would keep the weight a little better balanced I think and the steel to the main frame is right there. Still thinking about it is all.