Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing vehicle Q.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing vehicle Q.......

thanks guys, I never knew the GCWR existed. that should help tremendously in picking what I need. I am getting a 3/4 but haven't decided what motor. Hoping to get a '07' GMC so I still have a long time to figure what will be the best fit. Probably will not have a trailer for another 2 years so the 6.0 will be what I get unless the price of diesel closes the $.30 gap, or if I can figure out how to justify a tax deduction on diesel. I would like a diesel I just don't think it would be cost effective and neccessary until after this next vehicle.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: Dowery660
thanks guys, I never knew the GCWR existed. that should help tremendously in picking what I need. I am getting a 3/4 but haven't decided what motor. Hoping to get a '07' GMC so I still have a long time to figure what will be the best fit. Probably will not have a trailer for another 2 years so the 6.0 will be what I get unless the price of diesel closes the $.30 gap, or if I can figure out how to justify a tax deduction on diesel. I would like a diesel I just don't think it would be cost effective and neccessary until after this next vehicle.
Once you start towing, the Duramax will make up the mileage difference, big time. Especially if you are looking at a 5th wheel. I know someone with a 30' Rage'n who has a 6.0. I *think* they said they were down to like 4 MPG or something like that. Maybe not that low. But it's horrid.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Trailblazer

yeah I would like to get somewhere around 26-30' trailer, but my greediness of wanting an '07' will make it harder on the wallet to afford the xtra 7 grand for the diesel. If I can I will buy diesel, but just not sure what I can get for payments and how that will effect the monthly budget, so for now it is save save save.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I know what you mean, budget wise. My little 30' 5th wheel works OK for two people, but more than that and it starts getting cramped. I've been eyeballing some huge toyhaulers in the 18,000 pound range that are now on the market a couple years old and about half their original price, but if I sprung for a new medium duty truck it would be tough to also buy a new toyhauler...

Anyhow, if you are thinking new diesel, now might be the time. Like 2fun, you might find a killer deal on an 06, and skip all the $$$ emission stuff on the 07's. I've chatted with a couple of people with gas trucks towing a pretty similar trailer, and they generally get half of my fuel milage, plus diesels hold resale value very well.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I don't know about you guys, but hereon teh East coast, it is impossible to find the fuel for the 07's anywhere. It is hard enough to find the regular diesel, let alone looking to the dealers to change out their pumps and tanks to accomodate the new fuel. A aweful expensive driveway queen.

Old 10-31-2006, 11:42 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

ULSD I think is readily available out here on the west coast. I'm pretty sure it's now illegal to sell non-ULSD. CARB doesn't fool around.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 11-01-2006, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dowery660
yeah I would like to get somewhere around 26-30' trailer, but my greediness of wanting an '07' will make it harder on the wallet to afford the xtra 7 grand for the diesel. If I can I will buy diesel, but just not sure what I can get for payments and how that will effect the monthly budget, so for now it is save save save.
Like JeffinTD said, look around. There are SMOK'N deals on many 06's right now!! Especially the Dodge diesels!! I got mine for 30,988!!!! Thats the Cummins tubo diesel, quad cab, 4X4 BigHorn edition! Retails for over 41,000!!!!

Might want to check that out while they're still around!

Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not in a hurry to buy, still have a few payments left on one pickup and then I need to sell another. Also, there is a dealer in Kellogg ID that sells for something like $350 over invoice, Dave Smith Motors. If a person doesn't mind a little road trip that is an option, or at least a competitor for your business with a local dealer. You let your salesman know what you can get and maybe he'll save you the time of traveling. Myself I think it is a good excuse to ride a motorcycle and visit friends and relatives on the way.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I got a quote from there, and several other places. I had printed out a spec sheet of exactly what I wanted.

Then I stopped in at Urness Motors in The Dalles Oregon and talked to Mike Urness. They happened to have a rig close to what I wanted, and tossed me the keys.

After the test drive I came in later and had him price out exactly what I wanted in the color I wanted, and his price was like $30 different so I took the deal. He had a truck ordered for their inventory about to be built, and was able to change it's specs to get me the exact truck I wanted with less of a wait. At the time the 3500 SRW and quiter engine were recently released and a hot item. One dealer told me I'd have to pay MSRP, but Mike's price with no haggling was pocket change from invoice.

He also knows his stuff. When I was shopping the CR/CP3 fuel system was brand new, and people at other dealerships looked like deer caught in the headlights when I asked them about how it was set up. When I asked Mike, he took me out to his personal new truck and correctly explained the system and pointed out the components.

I'm not affiliated in any way with Urness or any dealership, but I was really impressed with Urness Motors and Mike.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I just took a trip around the first of Oct to Florida from Northern VA, I did not see a single pump with the new stuff. They all had the stickers on them saying the fuel could not be used in 07 models It hasn't changed since then around home either.

Quick Reply: Towing vehicle Q.......