Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Towing vehicle Q.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing vehicle Q.......

In Portland it will never get anywhere close enough to worry about jelling. During the winter months the stations here winterize fuel, bascially blended with #1. If you let a tank of fuel sit from the summer, then plan on going up to Mt Hood or some place where it's below 0, then I'd think of using an additive.

I drain my fuel seperator every couple of tanks, but I've never seen any sign of water. I either fuel at the Fling J in Troutdale, or a station here in town that does high volume. If you can avoid fueling out in the sticks, your chances of getting fresh and clean fuel are better.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Cool! Thanks again for all the info and help!
So dump the fuel valve every couple of tanks or so?? There is supposed to be some kind of water detector in the fuel filter area that alerts you to water in the filter bowl correct??

Old 11-06-2006, 10:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a water in fuel sensor and corresponding warning light on the dash, but don't go by it.

I stopped to check on my neighbor, who drives a Duramax powered 5500 roll bed. All it would do is crank and smoke. Turns out water went through the filter and ruined the injectors ($$$) and he never got a warning light. Although the Cummins filter/seperator is a different design that I think is probably better, it's still a good idea to drain it regularly.

I drain it into a clear container, and then let it settle undisturbed for a few minutes so I can look to see if there is any visible water. So far, I've never seen any sign of any contamination, but if I did I'd start draining more frequently.

Obviously, if the light does come on, stop and drain the seperator. Also, some of the earlier trucks would have the WIF light come on after they had pressure washed the engine, due to water getting into the connector at the sensor...

Lastly, though the book says 15k for fuel filter changes, I think it is a good idea to change it more frequently, like around 10k. Dodge wants high $$$, but if you go to the Cummins parts house (there's one on Swan Island if I'm not mistaken), they are cheaper.

Cheaper yet is Geno's on line. Their 4-2-1 pack is a really good value (four oil filters, two fuel, and one air filter). Personally, I won't put anything but Fleetguard stratapor (Sp?) on my truck.