Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Trailer Deck Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Deck Help

No not really. Just looking for something that I can either replace the wood with, or put on top of the wood so that when I load the quads, the tires have traction to get up the ramp/tilt bed. Right now I have to kinda come up the ramp hard, and have my wife jump up and hold the brake till I get the other quad on. I think its kinda dangerous and trying to find a way around it.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry, that's what i get for trying to think late at night. what about just a piece of mesh metel. the stuff you use between the rails on some open trailers. my be called grill material. is is metal, pretty light, good traction and cost effective. you could have it easily removable for winter. this is what we use on race car trailers for traction.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, when I used a snowmobile trailer, it was kind of a pain, too. It was one of those that both sides tip independently of each other, and it was so steep and slick that if you didn't hit it with a bit of momentium you would slide back down with all 4 wheels spinning.

You have to hit it with just enough speed to make it to the front half of the trailer, so the deck would pivot back to a flat position...

Old 09-26-2006, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

I have the same problem with my Karavan trailer. I would load one up and slide down. I purchased some antiskid material by 3m at a local home depot type store. It came in some different sizes. I bout 4 large pieces and since it had an adhesive back stuck it on the Marine grade plywood, then I hit it with a few staples. I put them in front where the front wheels are. It provides enough friction to hold the bike on.

Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 AM
Range Rover

I use a tilt snowmobile trailer also & it's great. have the grips for the snowmobile treads to catch on mounted & use them for traction for the atv's also. When I get one on, I get it situated where I want it & put a tiedown or 2 on it to hold it in place, then raise the bed back up to load the 2nd one. No problems!!

KenS

Old 10-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Scroung up a couple old snowmobile tracks / cut them and attach them to a new plywood deck. I think they would work perfect for your situation.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] just my .02?

Old 10-06-2006, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Triton 10' tilt trailer for my sleds and my quads and dirt bikes.

No traction mats on my stock wood deck. Just adjust your brakes so they hold better.

Another option I sometimes use when hauling the 2 quads and 1 dirt bike - I bring a couple planks and don't tilt the trailer at all. The trailer is so low anyhow that it is easy to drive onto.
When loaded, I use the snowmobile tie down bolts to secure the ramps on the deck of the trailer. I just drilled a hole in the end of each ramp.

Another thought is - tilt trailer and as you run the quads up, hook a tie down strap to the front to help hold them while you load the other/s.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

1. Replace your deck with marine grade plywood. Do remove the old deck, don't just screw the new over the old.
2. Drive one quad on and let the trailer go level & secure quad. Tilt trailer & drive second on. OR You have 2 quads so this means you have 2 drivers. Have driver 2 drive first quad onto trailer & stay there with the brakes on until you drive the second one on.
3. Utilize some sort of anti-slip device such as an old snowmobile track or some non-skid coating to provide enough friction for the ATV to stay put with the parking brake while you load up #2.
4. Leave the trailer level and use some ramps. The trailer height is quite low so you don't need that big of a ramp. They can slide underneath the quads & be secured for travel.
5. If you leave & go to the same place all the time and its secure just build a couple of ramps that you can back into.

Anyway a couple of ideas to think about.