Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Bad Bad Bad news for Ford

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Bad Bad news for Ford

Very nice rig DV!!!!
I don't plan on chipping the motor, even though I had mentioned it was possible.
Smart man.
I disagree, Navistar is the one that is going to be hurting more.
Navistar is just going to down size. Ford builds trucks. Pretty hard to build a truck with no engine to put in it. Sure, they can go gas, but most don't want gas on a towing truck anymore.
They built an unreliable engine for ford, and the agreement was that navistar has to pay 1/2 of the warranty claims. And they were not. And now ford is suing them for 1 billion i think.
It goes like this. Ford engineered the 6.0. They handed the prints over the Navistar. Navistar built the engine to Fords specs. Navistar sold the engine they just built to Ford. When Ford bought the engine, they signed off on it meeting their specs. After Ford found out that the 6.0 was junk they blame Navistar??? WTF??? I've had this BS happen to me once. The customer brings a car to me and says "I want this part changed." I change the part. The car is still having the same problem and the guy does not want to pay me for my work!!!! I did what he wanted me to do; I should get payed!!!!!
[/quote]So navistar stop giving them engines but ford has thousands of their engines in stock just waiting to be put in trucks. [/quote]
I don't know where you got these figures but if it's from Ford, they are BS'ing you. ALL big companies run on JIT (Just in Time) shippping nowdays. I think they already killed the diesel line.
Navistar is the one thats going to be in a huge hole when its all said and done [/quote]
They will both loose big time, but this may kill off Ford; Navistar will just downsize.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

It goes like this. Ford engineered the 6.0. They handed the prints over the Navistar. Navistar built the engine to Fords specs. Navistar sold the engine they just built to Ford. When Ford bought the engine, they signed off on it meeting their specs. After Ford found out that the 6.0 was junk they blame Navistar??? WTF??? I've had this BS happen to me once. The customer brings a car to me and says "I want this part changed." I change the part. The car is still having the same problem and the guy does not want to pay me for my work!!!! I did what he wanted me to do; I should get payed!!!!!
I don't think so, its a VT365 designed and built by Navstar. Ford I am sure colaberated on gettting its tunning and emmisions right to fit the needs of the Superduty pickup market. But the engine itself is all navstar.

Had it not been for all these wild emmession regulations that had to met back in 2003 we would still have our 7.3 L PSDs. But that said the 6.0 is not really the problem either its all the crap they had to strap onto it to meet the new regulations. The 6.4 is a punched out 6.0 with a all new injections system and inline turbos. One small turbo to get it moving and a larger turbo to keep it moving at highway speeds. They finally pretty much got the 6.0 all figured out they had to go and change everything and hang even more emissions crap on it to meet the 07 standard. So the only good thing I can see moving forward is that the 6.4 is actually ready for the 2010 standards and the GM, Dodge camps are just bandaiding there trucks to get buy for now. I think in the long run Ford will have the upper hand in next 5 years where diesel trucks are concerned. If you really think about it they have 50% of the market even now, so one might say they have always had the uper hand when comes to 3/4 ton and up pickups thats not likely to change.

Dodge has its Diamler side helping it for now anyway. If they hold things together you may be seeing the Cummins changing to a Benz diesel to meet the 2010 standard.

When it comes to Diesel engines and diesel fuels, This country is in a major transition right now when it comes to all things diesel. So if you have to buy one right now. I would recomend getting left over 06's 07's from any brand till everything gets worked out on all the new stuff.

Old 03-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: cc1999
So the only good thing I can see moving forward is that the 6.4 is actually ready for the 2010 standards and the GM, Dodge camps are just bandaiding there trucks to get buy for now.

Dodge has its Diamler side helping it for now anyway. If they hold things together you may be seeing the Cummins changing to a Benz diesel to meet the 2010 standard.
Wrong....the new 6.7L Cummins in the Dodge trucks is 2010 complient!

Old 03-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Exactly what I was going to say... The Dodge is already 2010 complaint, they are finally coming out with a 6 speed auto (in-house built transmission for the pickups, and Aisin w/pto provision for cab and chassis), plus they will have 4500 and 5500 series cab and chassis that is supposed to be an 08 due out around October...

Oddly, you don't hear about the VT365 blowing up all the time in International's own trucks, where about a quarter of the engines go.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get me wrong I am glad to here they got it complient. I am planning on looking at the Dodges when the 4500 comes out. I replied to the same correction on the other similar thread. I said it was my fleet rep who reps both Dodge and Ford both that told me it was not complient, along with the NAVSTAR/PSD people that had put on a school that I attended last fall about all the future diesel changes. So thats good news as far as I am concerned.

I still think that the public knowledge of the VT365 has to be pretty limmited since they are only going in comercial type trucks. I know at least a dozen people with 6.0s in there pickups. But I do not know one person that has a VT365 in there 4200 IH. I think there is maybe issues there too but we just don't ever here about them. Also I think there is a different emmision standard for the larger IH trucks than the pickups that ford puts the 6.0 in. That said we have 14 6.0s in our delivery truck fleet and be it that we did have problems with one 2003 model the newer 2006 models seem to be doing pretty well so far. Some already have 50,000+ trouble free miles on them so far. So I think most of if not all the 6.0 bugs have been worked out. I just hope for fords sake there is not that same 2 year learning curve coming with the new 6.4 . But no matter what brand it is I am sure there will be more that can and will go wrong with the newer trucks than that of the old pre 2002 trucks.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, your luck with the 6.0 was way better than my employer's was... but those were the very first 6.0's. Apparently the newer engines are better, as I don't think they have had a replacement motor fail...

Don't get me wrong, either, I'm a fan of Ford. My family always had a Ford pickup, and my last truck was a Ford. I really hope their new engine is flawless, and this dispute with International gets resolved.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Like I say we had a 2003 that was a pain in the butt, so I know what people saying about problems, but the rest of my fleet trucks are 2006's, We did have a trany issue on a 2006 E450 with the PSD and 5 speed, but it needed a trany module and it was fixed. So far engines seem pretty good in 2006. The 2007s are cary overs that went out of production in december 06. We bought one of those last november, so far so good with it as well.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, that's pretty much my take (That the newer 6.0's are hugely better than the first ones).

Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a diesel myself, so I could be wrong, but doesn't Ford own Cummins? Could this be the excuse Ford was looking for?

Old 03-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

They use to own a small portion of cummins, but not anymore. They have looked at using a baby cat at one point, but they chose to stick it out with Navstar. They also are 3 year into the process of setting up the launch of the new 6.4L. The new 6.4 is on dealers lots now. You are talking about a 2-3 process to change now, causing additional billons in losses. Ford might not survive that long without there diesel truck sales.

Quick Reply: Bad Bad Bad news for Ford