Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

truck tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck tires

I got the Cooper ATR's on my truck (Ford F:150), I have only had them for about 1,500 miles but so far they have been a great tire, seeing that my truck is only 2wd I dont really take them in the mud much but I do work in construction so they see their fair share of dirt. Also, living in Michigan I used them in the snow many times this past winter and they hooked up great. The highway band in the middle of the Cooper ATR provides a very smooth ride on the highway, but the tread is still agressive enough for off road conditions. A buddie of mine has the TOYO Open Country A/T's on his F:250 and they haven't been good to him, they wore down to almost nothing in less than 25,000 miles and now he has to fork out another $700 for a new set of tires.

Old 04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default truck tires

Originally posted by: ATVrider89
I got the Cooper ATR's on my truck (Ford F:150), I have only had them for about 1,500 miles but so far they have been a great tire, seeing that my truck is only 2wd I dont really take them in the mud much but I do work in construction so they see their fair share of dirt. Also, living in Michigan I used them in the snow many times this past winter and they hooked up great. The highway band in the middle of the Cooper ATR provides a very smooth ride on the highway, but the tread is still agressive enough for off road conditions. A buddie of mine has the TOYO Open Country A/T's on his F:250 and they haven't been good to him, they wore down to almost nothing in less than 25,000 miles and now he has to fork out another $700 for a new set of tires.
what type of roads does he travel with the toyo? Gravel? I will probably be putting like 4k miles on these a year.

Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Default truck tires

He does mostly on road driving paved road) with them, hardly any gravel, but he does do his fair share of off roading with that truck. If your only going 4k a year on those tires the Toyo's should be fine for you, just keep them rotated and keep your front end aligned.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default truck tires

I'll put in a big vote against the Revo's. I spent about $200 extra to get Revo's on my set before last. Convinced myself that the extra $$$ was worth it for a 50K mile warrantee. Actually I really liked the look of the Revo's - they did look good on the truck.

The Revo's made it 28K miles and were shot. While I'm not hard on tires I do drive a heavy truck so I expect less than advertised tire wear, but I've been running 3/4 ton pick-ups since '94 and can usually count on about 40K before I start seeing wear marks. Currently I'm running Mastercraft Courser AT's - they have much more tread at 38K miles than the Revo's had at 28K. I expect the Coursers to make it to 45K or a little more. BTW, the Bridgestone warrantee is worthless. While my tire dealer did work with me we never could get a dime out of Bridgestone - factory rep claimed they couldn't show proof of regular rotations (despite all four tires being worn exactly the same). At least my dealer gave me a break on the current set of tires.

Jaybee

Old 04-19-2007, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default truck tires

Thanks for the info on the bridgestones! I was pricing them and they were 170 a tire and the toyos were 128 a tire, the cooper discover s/t i was looking at were 133 a tire. So it is between the toyo and cooper. thanks for all the help so far guys!

Old 04-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default truck tires

another vote against the bridgestones. i bought a set when i had my z71 last yr and only bought them to try them out and got like 200.00 off due to a promotial event by sears (sears is another story). i had goodyear rts on it before and it seemed to handle better with the goodyears. the bridgestones handle weird (yes everything was in alignment) but the bridgestones were rated at 60,000 miles (vs 50,000 for gooodyear). however, after about 30k they are showing very noticable wear ( i know who i sold my truck to and see it weekly). Ive heard good about toyos, yokohama, cooper. nothing really wrong with mastercraft either. ive always liked goodyear but one of mine blew up but due to the road hazzard warranty so sears gave me 93.00 for it so i replaced everything with the bridgestones. next time i'll go back with the goodyears or try some yokos maybe michelins... theres people that swear by michelin.

its funny b/c if you read about the tire manufacturers- there are only like 3 viable in the world and they all make tires for each other. goodyear makes stuff for dunlop and vice versa, etc. go do some research on it. its kinda odd the way all their partnerships work.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default truck tires

Like I said above, between the Cooper and the Toyo I'd go with the Cooper, they will last long as long as you don't drive too crazy and keep em rotated. My truck has 235-65-16's on it and they haven't let me down so far.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default truck tires

Check out the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT...

I went with them because they were a lot cheaper than the Revos and the BFG A/Ts, but still seemed pretty comparable.

I like both the Revos and the BFG A/Ts best, but they are so expensive and on a full size truck no tire is going to last long (depending on where you live). The Dunlop RVXTs were great this winter, and we had a really bad winter up here in Syracuse.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default truck tires

I have BFG All Terrain TA and love them!! Can't really say about how long that will last only had them 1 year but are holding up well. Great in the snow just like having the 4wd on