Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What camper toy hauler to get

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 04:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What camper toy hauler to get

I'm looking at getting my first camper/toy hauler and need some advice for what to look for and what to avoid. Have been thinking a bumper pull but like the idea of a divider wall between the toy box and the living area. Definatly want to keep the wind resistance as low as possible. I will be pulling it with a 2005 Dodge cummins 3500 dually so not to worried about having enough truck for a very reasonable size trailer. The quads would be 2 Polaris Sportsmans and sleeping 4 people. Please let me know what you have found as faults to watch for and options that have become necessities.

Old 06-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

K-Z makes some nice toy haulers, as does Weekend Warrior. I personally prefer 5th wheels to pull trailers because of the way they tow and their storage, but they do push wind.

Anyhow, one of the bigger faults you will find is that not too many are wide enough in the garage to haul 2 big utes without turning them sideways.

I would start by finding out when the next big RV show is in your area. Take your digital camera and start photos of each thing that interests you with a shot of the placard that says what it is and how much. You will see so many that they will run together.

If this is your first RV, I'd highly recommend just using the RV show to get an idea of the floor plan and stuff you want, then use that info to go find a good used one.

Those things depreciate hugely in the first year or two, and almost everybody who buys their first RV decides within a year or two that what they really wanted was a kitchen slide, or bigger holding tanks, more room in the shower or whatever...

You will find a huge variation in price for units of a similar length, but when you start looking closer you will find the cheaper ones have more plastic, pressboard and particle board. Taking a drawer out and looking at the construction of the cabinetry is a good way to gauge quality (cheap ones are press board, followed by particle board, and the better ones are plywood).

Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeffin,
Thanks for the information, was just a t a small show and was blown away a 33ft 5th wheel was only $2500 more that a 25ft bumper pull. Closer inspection showed the difference, like you said cabinets and the high gloss gel coat. Man this is more confusing than buying my house LOL.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah, I remember that feeling. It was helpful for me to have friends who have more RV experience who were willing to go to various shows and stuff...

K-Z does make some seperate garage bumper pulls you might want to check out.

I think I did OK with my Patio Hauler, which is kind of mid quality unit (oak doors and drawer faces, but the bases are photo laminate woodgrain over particle board) but it seems sturdy and well insulated.

Myself, though, I'm hoping to get something a little bigger... and envy you for getting a dually.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

P.S.

If you are going with two quads and a bumper pull, my GF's dad set his rig up with a Monster Hauler rack to carry 2 big quads over the truck bed, and he tows a 30' tow trailer.

Before seeing that Monster I hadn't been too impressed with the pickup racks, but that one is very nice, solid, and easy to use. He has a couple of advantages in that he doesn't have to turn machines sideways, and can get a monthly rate at an RV park (they are retired) and he has a way to leave the trailer at the park and take the quads for day trips to other riding areas....

With my toyhauler, I need a flatbed ATV trailer for day trips where I don't want to haul the big trailer, where he can just use his rack.

A negative would be that you would need to take the quads off the rack and make room in the garage to keep them out of the weather, where when I return I just park the 5th wheel next to the house and the quads stay in the back- locked up and out of the weather.

Anyhow, a monster rack and tow trailer might be an option worth thinking about...

Old 06-11-2007, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jeffin,
I have a 9'x98" flatbed on my truck that will fit two big quads side by side with a tool box in the front so I'm good there. I definatly like the idea of storing the quads between trips in a toy hauler. If I go with a bumper pull I could still put two on the truck, a tird and the BBQ in the trailer??? Seems like there is never a problem filling extra space.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Montana59725

Jeffin,

I have a 9'x98" flatbed on my truck that will fit two big quads side by side with a tool box in the front so I'm good there. I definatly like the idea of storing the quads between trips in a toy hauler. If I go with a bumper pull I could still put two on the truck, a tird and the BBQ in the trailer??? Seems like there is never a problem filling extra space.</end quote></div>

Tird's go in the toilet. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

LMAO [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-12-2007, 02:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

BBQ'd tirds? Remind me never to come over for dinner...

Seriously, a flat bed and toy hauler might be a really nice combination. If you find you can't fit two machines side by side, you can carry one on the flatbed. Yanking 600+ pound machines around when they are half on the ramp is a blown back looking for a place to happen.

Seperate garage tow trailers aren't very common, but I do know KZ makes a few. Some folks consider the garage wasted space once the quads are out, but I find it makes a handy mud room to keep from tracking stuff into the living area, and you can also set up folding chairs and a card table and make a nice open area to relax or whatever.

Also, I don't know where you live, but if you go camping where it gets down into the 20's I think not heating that extra area at night does a lot to make the propane and batteries last longer.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Try this one!!

Quick Reply: What camper toy hauler to get