Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Security Systems for Campers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Security Systems for Campers

My toy hauler was recently broke into. They ripped out my entire stereo system, speakers, amp and stole my helmets, goggles, helmet bags, etc. Total damage & loss over $4,000. My camper insurance covered the damage to the camper but my personal items like helmets is only covered under my homeowners policy which has a high deductible.

Now, if my camper ever gets fixed (they are saying it could take 8 weeks or more) I'm worried they'll break in again. I store it in "secured" storage which has security cameras, but I found out that doesn't mean much because it was too dark and they went in from the side not covered by camera. Even if the camera had got them, it might be hard to positively identify them.

I've heard Desert Security has a good system. No electrical required and it is $225-300 or so and sets off a siren device of high decibel. www.desertsecurity.com.

I'm wondering what other options are out there so if anyone knows please respond. I can't find much that operates off of self contained battery power.

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Sorry to hear about the break in. Had my truck broken into and gear stolen. Same problem with the deductible. Fixed the truck, but homeowners deductible was as much as buying everything again.

An alarm may work, but only if someone at the storage place will respond to it.

I'd check and see if there were other places around to keep it. Tell them what happened, and ask about their security. Also, the local police department should be able to give you the crime figures for a particular area.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Scooter. I'm actually thinking about storing it at someones acreage where there is at least a house nearby to hear the alarm. Most of the storage areas around here that I've seen are somewhat remote in that they are generally far enough from residential areas that an audible alarm may not be heard.

Jim