Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Diesel guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel guys

Personally I plug my truck in when it gets into the 30's. They will start fine down below zero without being plugged in, but I think it's easier on the motor, you get less smoke, and faster cab heat.

At my power rate, I think I figured it would add around $15 to my power bill to run the heater 8 hours a day, though I use a timer and generally only run it 3 hours or so before I leave (more if it gets colder).

It used to be (with the 5.9) that engaging the exhaust brake at idle after the oil pressure has stabalized would warm up the truck much more quickly. I don't know if the new ones with the variable turbo will do that...

Anyway, when you first start plugging in your truck in the winter, loop the extension cord over the driver's side mirror. That way you won't take off without unplugging it.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel guys

On the dodge I had the old 01 with an offroad package and you could put the 315/70/17 on it stock(stock wheels even) at the time it was the only truck that you could do it with from the factory.
I didnt notice a problem with the steering after that so you shouldnt have a problem with doing it on your diesel

Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Diesel guys

Keith, I dont think I have ever plugged in our Cummins trucks. I had to on all the ford Diesels I owned, but not these or the Duramax. They like to rattle when its below 0, but usually start right up. I might try it for the faster warmups, as these things take FOREVER to heat up on a cold morning. Gotta love the seat heaters for that!
I like the idea of the cord over the mirror. I would be the guy that ran off and forgot about it............some guy walks up behind me at the convenience store...."Sir, did you know you are dragging a 100' extension cord behind you?" uuuuuhuh!! lmao!!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

LMAO! That would be me! Except in my case the cord would have been wrapped around the wheel barrow and lawn mower in the garage. They of course would go through the garage door. Imagine the guys face at the quicky mart!

I decided today to go with 35'' Toyo M/T's on the stock wheels (kinda like em) I looked at a alot of cool wheels but I got to thinkin about with a wider offset and the way they sand the roads in the winter around here, there probably wouldnt be much paint left behind the wheels after one winter. I talked to a couple of guys about the tire height and most of them agreed that mileage would improve with the 35's vs the 33's and they will last longer. Also they told me not to sipe the tires like I have always done because the diesels make so much torqe that it will rip them apart. Made sense to me. Im gonna drop it off tomorrow for the lift and tires.

Also is it normal for this truck to smell hot, sorta like oil burning off. Ive got about 550 miles on it now, seems like most of that stuff would be gone by now. Temp is running just below 200. Normal?

Old 09-25-2007, 12:02 AM
LTZ
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diesel guys

Check the ProComp Xtreme A/T also. 3 for 1 sale starts Oct. 1st. Great tire and 40k mile warranty. I love mine!

As for the temps mine is an 04.5 and it runs at 195* so yours sounds right but I'm not positive on the 6.7 and the smell is normal stuff burning off.

Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

As far as smell goes, the paint/cosmoline type stuff takes a while to burn off...

Old 09-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

I figure that was what the smell was. I was looking at the engine and I think it has more clear coat than the exterior. Just dropped it off at Les Schwabs for the lift and tires. The tech told me we might need to install an offset ball joint to correct the alignment with the bigger tires. He said its a case by case deal so I guess we will see after their done. I'll try to post some pics later today.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

With 35's I'll bet you eventually decide to get some wider wheels with some off-set... Since I tow a 5th wheel I've kept mine stock height.

I see you are in Klamath Falls. I went to OIT there for a couple years before transferring to Western...

Old 09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

Cant figure out how to post a pic in the thread. Check my pic page.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Diesel guys

Sweet truck. I like the color.

If you wanted to, the Dodge parts department can get you plastic full inner fender tubs for the back. They do a lot better job of keeping rocks, muck, and snow out from the underside of the bed than the little deflector things that are only on the backside of the wheel wells...

Quick Reply: Diesel guys