Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What to use to tie down...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 02:39 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What to use to tie down...

Thanks Draggin. I'll check those out. My old straps used to loosen up so I switched to the ratchets. I don't have any problem as long as I spray some Wd-40 type of lube on them once in awhile. I don't even wash the dirt off, I just spray them and they work fine. I searched for the trailer vise too and couldn't find it. I don't want one but I looked for you. I think they went out of business.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just use kite string LOL

Old 06-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Moto Psycho

I've seen a couple of people that thought the parking brake would hold it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I wouldn't drive behind them.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Pro Rider

for sure i wouldnt be caught behind them either

Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Trailblazer

I currently use PowerTye rachet straps, but I'd like to see one of these first hand:

LA Guard Dog

Old 06-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I prefer heavy ratchet type tie downs, and for anti-theft I've got one of those heavy Kryptonite barbed wire things.

It's supposed to be nearly impossible to cut with a bolt cutter or hack saw (little hard strands grab the blade teeth), but a huge cable cutter or power cutoff wheel I'm sure would go through.

Anyway, if I can I'll wrap it around the frame of one quad, through the frame of the other(s) on the trailer, and lock it to the safety chain loop on my truck's hitch with a U lock. Although there is also a tamper resistant lock on the trailer's coupler and the ball mount pin, may as well have the trailer locked to the truck in more than one way.

A lot of people I think forget about the pin in the trailer hitch. Even the locking pins I don't think would take much to break, and then a person could make off with the trailer, quads, and trailer ball and ball mount...

On the subject of U locks, Kryptonite makes an EV disk lock designed to lock through the slots on a motorcycle disk brake, but I think it is also a better choice with the cable than the big bicycle U lock... you don't want to leave enough room for someone to put a bottle jack in there.

Mainly, locking them like that prevents stops a semi-honest person who only has the usual tools people typically carry in a truck.

Beyond that, they are insured.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Moto Psycho

Insurance will give you much less than the replacement value, but it's better than nothing. I know, because I'm replacing the 4th one right now. I doubt I'll get 75% of the value of my practically new 2006. And when <u>two</u> were stolen at the same time I got enough money to buy <u>one</u> new one and accessories.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I know, because I'm replacing the 4th one right now.</end quote></div>
Jumbofrank you need to move out of the hood dude!!!! LOL

Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I know, because I'm replacing the 4th one right now.</end quote></div>

Jumbofrank you need to move out of the hood dude!!!! LOL</end quote></div>

I would, but nobody wants me for a neighbor! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] lol

No Bears Allowed! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2008, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I have a small chain I use on the trailer in case I want to go in somewhere and get a drink or some ice. If Im gonna leave it outside anywhere suspicous I use a 3/8 grade80 chain and a bull lock. They could cut it if they really wanted to but it wont be easy and not likely quick.

Quick Reply: What to use to tie down...