Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

What to use to tie down...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to tie down...

What is everyone using these days to tie down. I have tried everything...
Been looking at the Trailer Vice that they reviewed on this site, but can't find them online anywhere. Starting to look like the company is no longer in business. I guess I can fabricate one... or 6 in my case... but I'd rather leave that up to the pros...

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hooks, chains and turnbuckles, anchored down low. As in my pics.

Jaybee

Old 06-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

We use heavy duty ratchet tie downs. They seem to hold pretty well.

Old 06-07-2008, 05:04 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use 4 ratchet tie-downs each attached to U-bolts welded to the corners of the trailer. My quad's not going anywhere.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone hear if Trailer vice is still in business?

Old 06-15-2008, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

I use 2 heavy duty ratchet tie downs. My friends use the real cheap kind that you just pull tight (no ratchet). They havent lost an ATV yet but I work to hard for my money to test my luck.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Moto Psycho

I had some of those cam-locks or whatever they call the cheap non-ratchet straps. Sometimes they stay on but sometimes when the quad and trailer bounce up and down they slip and fall off. It happened to me so I switched to ratchets. Anb never use your winch to tie down the ATV. I'm surprised no-one has said anything about that yet.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone had any experienec with some of the lock devices out there that you can use to tie down with? I have seen some that hook into an eybolt and then slide inside each other something like the club used ot do with the steering wheel. I don't know how well they keep it on teh trailer, but it could double as an anti-theft device. the one I really want to know about is the one mentioned above. It appears that since they were tested by this website, they must have gone out of business because they do not have a web presence...

Old 06-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Moto Psycho

If anyone finds a source for the CLUB type that DB mentions please PM me. My quads keep getting stolen and need to be locked up. I can keep my next one locked to the trailer.

I have U-bolts welded to the center front and rear of my trailer too, besides the 4 corners. I did that so I can use 2, 3, or 4 tiedowns. I used 4 until someone borrowed one off the back then used 4 again when I got it back. It's always better to have 4 for that reason. Plus if one breaks it still isn't going anywhwere.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

J-Frank, It is called an Fulton ATV Lock & Hold down system. You can find them in just about any ATV accessories catalog... I have seen them priced anywhere from around $105 to $150. Dennis Kirk I think was the cheapest I found. They consist of a hook device that hook on the front and back. I have not used them so please look carefully at the construction and judge accordingly. I do not in any way recommend them or not... I have seen them at my local dealer, but I am not sure about them as I have several machines to mount and I am not sure how they would work if your machines are different lengths. I don't see any adapability to etrack or anything like that. So that is why I am steering away from them for now. I really would like to get one of the trailer vises that they have in the product test section on this website, but they evidently have gone out of business. Guess I'll try welding up something on my own.

On my current trailer I added large eyebolts to it and hook straps through them. But if you drive through rain, the straps tend to loosen up. And Ratchets are difficult to use.

I am looking at getting a new trailer and want something that can be removed so I can drive the machines on and off yet can adjust to the trailer's track system that I hook through. That is what made the trailer vise so neat, it used the same bolt system that snowmobiles use to clamp the skis, and this runs along a central track system that runs the length of the trailer. With two strips, I can mount 6 of them easily and haul anyhting I needed on the trailer.

Quick Reply: What to use to tie down...