Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

How do you tie down you ATV

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sparks1032, to answer your question about etrack, I work for a company that installs, repairs, and modifies vehicles ( golf carts, a A/C 4wheeler,cars, trucks, vans and buses) for the physically handicapped in wheelchairs to operate or be transported in. I have lots of experince with etrack that is used for wheelchair securement. They are great if #1 the clips are installed correctly and #2 the tracks are kept clean. I have seen etracks that are partially or completely full of dirt/trash and it is very difficult to insert the clips properly. Hope this helps.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Pro Rider

back in 1989 after losing my 1989 zuki lt 250 4x4 of my snowmobile trailer going around a reak sharp turn ( it rolled off landed on the wheels and bounced up and over and landed back on the wheels causing no damage, I had 2 straps on it.....im **** i put 5 straps on each one.) i own 20 straps can never be to careful.

my polaris i strap to the frame and my honda i strap to the racks and compress the heck out of them..they dont move. i even have sides on my trailer.

hoyt

Old 06-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Trailblazer

I use two smart straps (straps with hook loops built in) and go from right front control arm and tie down on the left rear. Then then go from the right rear on the axle and tie down on the left front. She doesn't flinch an inch when turning. My mom's bf does the same thing on his '06 kodiak 450.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

The shorter the straps, the less roll potential if the straps get loose, stretch when wet etc. I can't back that up with science, but I have seen this in my various road trips. I exclusively go to the frame now, and I always use ratchet straps. No more thumb tight models. AND I always strap on all four corners PLUS one from the center of the front and rear. 6 total per machine. Straps are cheap insurance compared to a new machine.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default strapping

i run the straps across the tires they don't move .only once had a strap break but it was one i should have thrown .and the other strap held the machine in place .other then across the tires i go to the lowest points on the machine and let the suspension move instead of the straps possible bounce off. one other thing i've learned if possible have the ratchet on the passenger side or ditch side in case u have to pull over to tighten up the straps.less chance of getting run over.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I have tried something diff on my last two times out for my middle (sandwiched) quad.. I have straped mine down... I guess you would call loose.. then I ran a bungie from the eye for the hooks so the straps would not come off the tie down on the rebounds.. It has not failed me yet and yet allows my quads shocks to absorb the bums without cinching them down to tight. I am still watching it close, but I think I like it. Might try it one the other two one the trailer.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

xcitmnt, Let me know if you ever come out East, and I'll make sure I am not following you. Loading loose, sounds frightening to me. I am not worried about 'ruining' my shocks pulling them down tight. Those big bulbous tires will do just fine providing enough cushion.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

no worries.. have thought twice about that and lock them boys down now.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer
Default Securing ATV loads

i haul 4 ATVs sideways on a 16' car trailer. I wrap two large 2" ratcheting tie downs around the body of the ATV that sits at the rear and attach them both to different mount points on the trailer. These tie downs are about 27' long and rated at around 10,000 lbs. I then tie each ATV down, using lighter duty ratcheting tie downs from the front and rear frames, to the trailer sides.

I almost lost an ATV on the PA turnpike, so I'm overly careful.

I agree with the comment about not using the winch as a tie down.

I also pull over and check the load every so often.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

For the quad on the front of my trailer I have two chains with hooks attached to the front cross brace of my trailer that I hook to the frame in the front, then two ratchet straps from the frame pulling it to the rear against the chains. For the rear quad, I have a chain with a hook welded to the back of the trailer that I wrap and hook around the receiver area, then two ratchet straps from the frame pulling it forward against the chain. Plus I have a braided cable lock for each quad that goes through the frame of each and around the side rail of trailer. Hasn't moved yet.