Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

tandem towing advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default tandem towing advice

so, i'm looking for advice on tandem towing. i'm foregoing the idea of a flat deck toy hauler like the wolf pack or the coyote rock climber. i've read a lot of threads, but wanted to narrow it down. say a 30' fifth wheel that would have my car hauler behind it loaded with quads. i've seen this done here in Texas, but when asking people, i'm getting mixed reviews on handling. what's your thoughts? i really can't find a toy hauler big enough for all of our toys......BTW, i strongly believe i got enough truck to do it with.....

Old 03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, if this is for a planned trip then you'll need to check the towing laws for all the states that you'll go through as some either do not allow it at all or have limitations on the length of the entire rig.

Tandem towing has been done enough to know it's certainly possible - as long as you have the towing experience to handle windage and the lack of ability to back up. Obviously the correct two vehicle, ability to balance the load and braking on all trailers is a must.

As for tow vehicle, you don't say exactly what you have but you'll want a minimum of a one-ton duelly with a diesel engine. I mention this because I've read many threads where somebody wants to tow loads similar to what you are talking about and feel that their full-sized half-ton truck is more than up for the job.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jaybeecon55
First, if this is for a planned trip then you'll need to check the towing laws for all the states that you'll go through as some either do not allow it at all or have limitations on the length of the entire rig.

Tandem towing has been done enough to know it's certainly possible - as long as you have the towing experience to handle windage and the lack of ability to back up. Obviously the correct two vehicle, ability to balance the load and braking on all trailers is a must.

As for tow vehicle, you don't say exactly what you have but you'll want a minimum of a one-ton duelly with a diesel engine. I mention this because I've read many threads where somebody wants to tow loads similar to what you are talking about and feel that their full-sized half-ton truck is more than up for the job.
i used to drive trucks, so hauling heavy loads/high profile loads with windage is no problem. i am experienced at that... backing up a two trailer set up really ain't all that hard, just very time consuming and very slow. simple angles and mathematics really...but not the desirable/ideal situation....here in Texas, the length limit is like 60-65'. yeah, some states "honor" other states' laws/rules and others don't. i pull everything with my F250 powerstroke 7.3L and have never had any problems. i saw JeffinTD's toy hauler, i may go that route. i need the room as i'm hauling 4 quads and need a decent sized living area. thanks!!!!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Have you considered a bumper hitch toyhauler that can hold two or three ATV's with either one ATV in the truck or one of those truck decks that can hold two quads? There was someone posting on here a while ago who was considering that route.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah, i've considered a bumper pull, but what i've seen, once you break the 25' mark, it really lays your truck springs down. plus, i really don't like a rack in the back of the truck with toys in the air. that throws the truck's center of gravity off, in my opinion. Jaybee, i really appreciate your advice. you've given me food for thought. now, i just gotta go shoppin. (see if i can make the wife happy,,,,,ha ha....) thanks again.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Or, you could always check here: YouTube - 4 wheeler on mini van roof for 'advice"

Old 03-06-2011, 05:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Oregon you are only allowed one trailer, unless it is a commercial motor vehicle, and I think both have to be 5th wheel.

An open floor plan/non-separate garage 5th wheel is about the best route, toy hauler wise, to fit in a bunch of quads, but then you end up with fold-away furnishings that aren't what I want to relax on.

Motorhome/big enclosed trailer is a nice way to go for someone with a lot of toys, if you can swing it.

GF's parents run a monster hauler with 2 atv's over the bed and about a 31' pull RV trailer. Handles pretty good, but required air bags on the pickup and an upgrade to class 5 hitch with equalizer.

Another friend runs a pickup camper and a trailer, but I prefer to have more living space, and heavy campers don't help how pickups handle (he'd be better served by a dually instead of the SRW one ton, IMHO).

Anyway, there is no perfect setup. Double towing would probably be OK, if it is legal where you want to go.

Old 06-01-2011, 03:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

got pics of the tandem tow rig in my profile album & another post.
total length is 62' 8". just under the legal limit. it pulls great and the flatbed helps to calm/stabilize the 5th wheel during windy conditions.
backing up is really not a problem if you go slow.