Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 03:09 PM
Quad Patrol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
The only way it would get "closed" would be if a blizard came through and CalTrans piled the snow too high at the incoming roads to get in
Did you hear that there are 100 mph gust of winds, in the Sierras[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] I'm sure they(CalTrans) mean the higher elevations[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] then, where Miami is at[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 03:33 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by: rescuediver
Ok guys, Here's a technical question for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have finished the mojave[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The only thing that was changed was the air filter. Instead of the k&n filter that fit in the stock air box, I went with a clamp on style k&n filter with outerwear. Now, I don't remember what number jetting I had in(should of wrote it down when I had it out) but, it was what k&n recommended for that filter. The needle is in the #3 position. I thought, all I would need to do with the new filter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] would be to adjust the idle screw[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Boy, was I WRONG[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The thing is idling fast/high. Couldn't get it to idle down with the idle screw.
Would lowering the needle to say the #2 or 1 position, make a difference?
I am going to continue looking for my k&n jet kit (can't find it when I need it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]) and also do some research here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MD
Hard to believe that a simple filter change would be that big of a deal. Was the stock air box that restrictive? You have created a lean condition if anything with the new filter. I would try turning in the air screw on the side of the carb a bit and see what happens. If it is a fuel screw turn it out. The needle would have to be raised to counter the lean condition, not lowered. Not sure if you were lowering the needle or the clip(lowereing the clip would raise the needle.) Any chanceyou now have a air leak? Would cause the same conditions.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

They get some pretty serious winds over there. I was at Bass Lake in October and holy cow. Plastic resin charis on the deck ended up going across the deck and around the corner. Trees down on the roads. Power outages. You name it. We almost got blocked in but the branch wasn't that much on the road, plus it was dead and pretty light.

Current where I am (I'm about 1/2 mile from the weather station at Fresno Yosemite Internation (FAT):
59 °F / 15 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h from the SE
Pressure: 29.78 in / 1008 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds (AGL): Scattered Clouds 2000 ft / 609 m
Mostly Cloudy 3000 ft / 914 m
Overcast 4000 ft / 1219 m
This is what's going on at LJ's house:

51.4 °F / 10.8 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 47 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 8.1 mph / 13.0 km/h from the SE
Wind Gust: 14.5 mph / 23.3 km/h
Pressure: 29.80 in / 1009.0 hPa
UV: 3 out of 16
He's about 1500' below Miami.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 03-22-2005, 05:00 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Hard to believe that a simple filter change would be that big of a deal. Was the stock air box that restrictive? You have created a lean condition if anything with the new filter. I would try turning in the air screw on the side of the carb a bit and see what happens. If it is a fuel screw turn it out. The needle would have to be raised to counter the lean condition, not lowered. Not sure if you were lowering the needle or the clip(lowereing the clip would raise the needle.) Any chanceyou now have a air leak? Would cause the same conditions.
I know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] If you were to see the stock air box system, you would die lauging[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] it is that restrictive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] IMO. I don't think I have a air leak. Didn't hear or feel one. I'll try the fuel mixture screw. What I do know is, it has a Dyna jet main #134 jet in it and the needle clip is in the #3 position. I'll be back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 05:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] If you were to see the stock air box system, you would die lauging[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] it is that restrictive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] IMO. I don't think I have a air leak. Didn't hear or feel one. I'll try the fuel mixture screw. What I do know is, it has a Dyna jet main #134 jet in it and the needle clip is in the #3 position. I'll be back[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Any possible kinks in the throttle cable? Having a real hard time with the fact that the idle screw makes no difference. But if the stock airbox was that restrictve it could now be super lean.

Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Quad Patrol

Any possible kinks in the throttle cable? Having a real hard time with the fact that the idle screw makes no difference. But if the stock airbox was that restrictve it could now be super lean.
I was just out there, man did Mother Nature just open the flood gates[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] It's a real good down pour with thunder[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Just like the old mid-west storms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Anyways, I did find an old thread and re-adjusted the air mixture screw, just like 96lapiscoupe had said, he did. It did lower the idle. Now, I just can't get the thing to idle without "bumping" the throttle to keep it running. Couldn't find that "sweet" spot[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

No apparent kinks in the throttle[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

It's a real good down pour with thunder[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Just like the old mid-west storms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
That is probubly the thing I miss most about the midwest. I just loved the thunder/lightning storms in Ill. Awesome light shows back there.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:50 PM
Range Rover

Ok guys, Here's a technical question for you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have finished the mojave[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] The only thing that was changed was the air filter. Instead of the k&n filter that fit in the stock air box, I went with a clamp on style k&n filter with outerwear. Now, I don't remember what number jetting I had in(should of wrote it down when I had it out) but, it was what k&n recommended for that filter. The needle is in the #3 position. I thought, all I would need to do with the new filter[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] would be to adjust the idle screw[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]Boy, was I WRONG[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The thing is idling fast/high. Couldn't get it to idle down with the idle screw.
I am going to continue looking for my k&n jet kit (can't find it when I need it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]) and also do some research here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

MD
air leaks? choke on??

Old 03-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Quad Patrol

It's a real good down pour with thunder[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Just like the old mid-west storms[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
That is probubly the thing I miss most about the midwest. I just loved the thunder/lightning storms in Ill. Awesome light shows back there.
Oh Yea[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] remember all the warnings on t.v. about tornados in Cook Co[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 12:18 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: mstrquad

MD
air leaks? choke on??
Ok, MWQ and mstrquad have both mentioned air leaks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I have checked, but maybe I'm missing something[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] What is the best way to check for a leak? Spraying WD-40 around the engine, anywhere a leak could be?

I'll also check the choke cable again.

Quick Reply: Ford Crew cabs w/7.3 Diesel