Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Truck. How bout yours?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:08 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeDawg
My Dad is 84 and he won't buy a new truck either, and I KNOW he has the money to do it - he's just too cheap!!! I keep telling him he can't take it with him and if he has any $$$$ left over there's just gong to be a brawl amongst all my siblings!!!!
My mom is older than that and won't even spend the little bit it would take to buy a pair of shoes that actually fit her. She acts like it's still the Great Depression that she grew up in, and thinks everything is too expensive. I already knew she had a a bunch of money in the bank and one day I saw some mail on her kitchen table concerning an investment I didn't know she had. One of my brothers said she has close to 1/4 of a million dollars. My guess is that the 3 of us will get around $70,000 each. Two of us are planning on getting new trucks when we have the money for them.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my case it isn't about the money. I get your dad. We came from a generation that frugal was a way of life, not a word we gave any thought to. We replaced things when they broke and could not be fixed, or when a newer tool made our lives easier or more productive. With the cost of new vehicles and trucks in particular where they are at today, I just can't justify it. Now if they were in the low 40's maybe, but just looked at one tonight that was $85K, and it wasn't even a Laredo. It was basically the same truck I already had in the driveway. Paid for. That is like lighting a cigar with $100 dollar bills. I got better things to do with my $.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
My mom is older than that and won't even spend the little bit it would take to buy a pair of shoes that actually fit her. She acts like it's still the Great Depression that she grew up in, and thinks everything is too expensive. I already knew she had a a bunch of money in the bank and one day I saw some mail on her kitchen table concerning an investment I didn't know she had. One of my brothers said she has close to 1/4 of a million dollars. My guess is that the 3 of us will get around $70,000 each. Two of us are planning on getting new trucks when we have the money for them.

I have so many siblings that what's ever left over won't mean a whole lot. To me any way - some of my siblings may see it differently. I'm pretty sure it won't be enough for a new truck...

Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
In my case it isn't about the money. I get your dad. We came from a generation that frugal was a way of life, not a word we gave any thought to. We replaced things when they broke and could not be fixed, or when a newer tool made our lives easier or more productive. With the cost of new vehicles and trucks in particular where they are at today, I just can't justify it. Now if they were in the low 40's maybe, but just looked at one tonight that was $85K, and it wasn't even a Laredo. It was basically the same truck I already had in the driveway. Paid for. That is like lighting a cigar with $100 dollar bills. I got better things to do with my $.

That's just it - he's not doing anything with his money - it's just sitting in the bank!!! I would rather see him buy a new vehicle or three and maybe travel and enjoy himself. Even if he traveled he'd do it on the cheap. When I travel (which I do a lot) I like to fly business and stay at Marriott's. My company pays for a fair amount of my travel, though, They will pay for basic flights and cars and I'll use points and cash for upgrades. They do pay for Marriotts though, and I have enough points now that later this year I will reach their top tier.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Actually you should respect and admire him for his self control. Trucks are an investment these days. Prior to spending that kind of money, it should have a way of paying for itself. That was what helped me make that decision. I bought mine to pull a trailer that I was going to use in a business. My previous truck, another RAM, but one with a Hemi in it, just could not pull the trailer. So I stepped up to the diesel. And will never own a gas powered truck again. CUMMINS, that is the only truck in my driveway.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Actually you should respect and admire him for his self control. Trucks are an investment these days. Prior to spending that kind of money, it should have a way of paying for itself. That was what helped me make that decision. I bought mine to pull a trailer that I was going to use in a business. My previous truck, another RAM, but one with a Hemi in it, just could not pull the trailer. So I stepped up to the diesel. And will never own a gas powered truck again. CUMMINS, that is the only truck in my driveway.

Who says I don't respect him? I just think he shouldn't worry about how much he leaves behind and instead enjoy himself.

Old 10-31-2017, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

that is the spirit. My motto is when I die, I am going to slide it in broadsides, credit cards maxed out yelling Geronimo....

Old 12-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Moto Psycho

I finally hit 75,000 miles on my truck on the way home from the store. I've had my truck for 17 years so that's only about 4,400 miles a year instead of the 10-12,000 a year that a lot of people drive. It's about a 15 mile round trip to my mom's house and back, 2 miles to the grocery store and back, and only a few blocks each way to the drug store and back. I have to get more pills every week but a lot of days don't go anywhere at all.

Old 12-08-2017, 07:44 AM
Range Rover

I finally hit 300,000 miles on my 93 Toyota pickup that I bought new. Engine has never been opened. Even the clutch is original. It may well go another 300,000.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

I am about on that track. I have not hit 70,000 yet on my 06 Ram. Heck, I put new tires on it almost 3 years ago, and I have less than 5,000 miles on them, and it would not have been that high if I had not driven it from Virginia to Wisconsin for a relative's funeral. It gave me an opportunity to stretch it's legs a bit, and I was able to go see some property that I own back home. Needed the 4 wheel drive for that. So far, everything is working just fine. I have put brakes on it, and a gale banks exhaust along with the usual maintenance on the diffs and transfer case, transmission etc. Other that a failed AC Compressor, it has been trouble tree. Love my truck

Quick Reply: My Truck. How bout yours?