Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Truck. How bout yours?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:40 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My truck still has really low miles for its age, so most of my problems are from time, not miles. Like when the one brake line rusted through last year or whenever it was.

Today on my way home I had less than 1/2 mile to go when I hit a pothole so hard the battery symbol on the dash lit up and the engine died. I had a bad enough day already and started cursing out loud, wondering what the Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word is it now. As I coasted down this side street I put it in neutral, started it back up, put it back in gear and kept on truckin'. The weight of my other keys may have pulled the key out a tiny bit or turned the switch just a hair, I'm not not sure what exactly. I've hit potholes so hard before that CDs didn't just skip, they quit playing altogether and the display may as well have said WTF???, but this was a new experience.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:29 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard that it's a bad idea to have a lot of weight on your keychain. My business partner has enough stuff hanging for his Ram's key to ward of the Zombie Apocalypse. Of course the new Rams have a weird key.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
There's a hardware store in town that sells Bag Balm. Never used it though.
Moose, I'm a diabetic and don't heal quickly, so Bag Balm is probably the reason I'm still alive! Tractor Supply sells "Dr Naylors Udder Balm" works as good, cheaper and smells much better. Haven't tried it on any udders, but if any cute ladies want to volunteer......

Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrex
I've heard that it's a bad idea to have a lot of weight on your keychain. My business partner has enough stuff hanging for his Ram's key to ward of the Zombie Apocalypse. Of course the new Rams have a weird key.
New truck, oddly enough for a diesel, has the push button start. Don't have to take the key out of the pocket.

I'm not really into souping up my rides. Like to keep them pretty much bone stock. A big mod for me is going up one tire size to get a tiny bit of ground clearance.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

I just learned that my business partner's 2017 Ram has a "valet key" inside the weird plastic key. Perhaps the HD Rams also have that. Curious what a valet key actually does. Wish that I had all the money that I've spent on modifying my vehicles, I could buy one of those new fangled Cummins Rams, haha!

Old 06-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Valet keys knock the wind out of the vehicle - limits rpm and all kinds of things so they can't beat your vehicle.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Valet keys knock the wind out of the vehicle - limits rpm and all kinds of things so they can't beat your vehicle.
We should make sure Beergut has one of the limiting keys when he buys a new Can-Am.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

My last trip to SLC my truck got 14.8 mpg.

Cruise set at 87 mph for 100 plus miles then another 60 miles in stop and go traffic.

I'm happy with that.

Almost 165,000 miles, doesn't use drop of oil and gets the same mileage as it did when I bought it with only 20,000 miles on it.

I mentioned that I might be putting some new brakes on it. I'm thinking about replacing the original shocks too.

I've been averaging 29,000 miles every year.

Roughly 32,000 of the 165,000 miles have been for just going to my doctor appointments.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:12 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I was going to need a new radio in my truck. Yesterday it wouldn't eject the CD that was in it when I hit that pothole a few days ago. I'm not sure the 2 things are related, but it took a pretty good hit that day. When I tried to eject it the CD would quit playing but wouldn't come out. I kept pushing the eject button and sometimes the CD symbol on the radio would turn off, sometimes it wouldn't. When I got home I messed with it some more, and when the CD still wouldn't come out I thought maybe it wasn't going all the way in either. I pushed on the edge of the disc with the end of a knife blade that I'd previously ground flat. I got it so it would play consistently but still not eject. Today I went for a ride and after a minute or two pushed the eject button and the CD came out. I decided I'd risk putting another one in. I played a few seconds and ejected it 3 times without any trouble, then put it back in and played it. I'll see what happens when this CD is done.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

Glad your CD player didn't die. They are necessities for every vehicle.

I have a DVD receiver, so my son-in-law tells me and I like it.

8 speakers, two amps and a "custom" sub-woofer and enclosure designed for regular cab pickups.

It makes traveling a lot more enjoyable for sure.

Quick Reply: My Truck. How bout yours?