Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Truck Is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah its been a few years now, she's got 80,000 miles now and still kicking strong despite being latched to (literally) hundreds of trailers. My dad recently bought am '11 F-150 EC SB with the 5.0L V8, and I have to say its an awful nice truck. Rides a lot better then mine, and its got really good power. We have yet to tow anything with it but it doesn't seem like it would have a problem doing so.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well is sounds to me like you are looking for something that is reliable, can do decent amount of work and you are dealing with limited funds. I just help my youngest purchase a 06 F-150 4x4 with V8, Automatic in decent shape with 100,000 miles on it for 9K out the door. A little high, but in this area, that was a steal. Trucks go pretty high. To answer your question, I'd go with the full framed F-150. You can always find ways to use more size. Nothing against the ranger, I have owned 2 of them, but when you start talking towing etc, you might just as well go big. Trans... Automatic all the way. You live in snow country and you may need to rock it out of a snow hole some day. Not easy on a manual. Besides, you carry three people in a ranger with a stick and you are cramped and nobody likes a gear shifter in the crotch.
If you ever talk towing big stuff, then Dodge Diesel is the only way to go. That Cummins is the bomb. (Yeah, I have one... gave up on 03 Hemi for the Cummins and have been smiling ever since) If you tow heavy, it is what you need.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good advice DB; and I came in here thinking you was going to be a bar-room brawl LOL!!!

Old 05-30-2014, 02:05 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
I think the only option I had on that 91 Ranger was vinyl.

The wife wouldn't drive it because it was a standard, had no power steering and no a/c. And she thinks it was an accident it didn't have all that.

My 91 Ranger has cloth seats. Could have paid a few more $$$ and gotten one with auto and ac...

Old 05-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Come on Dee, I am reasonable... Actually there is a lot to be said for anyone willing to ask first and make an educated decision. I liked my ranger, I would still have it if it hadn't been for a blown knee and I could not get into it with a leg that didn't bend to get to my Therapy. I tried to get into an F-150 and had the same problem. So on a whim, my wife told me to stop at the Dodge dealer, and it fit me and the leg. So we got a new Dodge 1500. The hemi was nice, but when I tried to tow a 7000 trailer with it, it was under powered. Wrong gearing (I am smarter now on towing needs) So after 3 years I traded up to the Cummins and have not regretted the decision. That 7000 trailer is NOTHING to pull now. And the 13,000 toy hauler barely breaks a sweat. But the Ranger has always been something I have wanted to get back into. And for hauling a quad, it would be perfect. My son's choice was mostly one of being in teh right place at the right time. We had been looking for a ranger for him, but this one came up and for the money, it was the right choice. He is happy, we feel he has a safe vehicle to drive and it meets his needs. Our middle son has a Dodge 1500 4x4 that was free and is a POS. But he gets what he needs out of it. My advice to the asker is be smart about it. Don't tie yourself to a brand. Find something that is safe, is in decent shape and wont cost you an arm and a leg in the near term to keep running. Make sure you buy one with the capacity to do what you want to do, and a little more, because it never fails, you will always find chores that will exceed whatever the vehicle you own can handle. Same goes for trailers. Need to haul one, get one that hauls 2, maybe 3. Trust me, you will need it down the road. It never fails. That is why I have two enclosed trailers, and an open snowmobile trailer in my driveway. And I am looking for another open one as we speak.

Old 06-02-2014, 10:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Dragginbutt
Come on Dee, I am reasonable... Actually there is a lot to be said for anyone willing to ask first and make an educated decision. I liked my ranger, I would still have it if it hadn't been for a blown knee and I could not get into it with a leg that didn't bend to get to my Therapy. I tried to get into an F-150 and had the same problem. So on a whim, my wife told me to stop at the Dodge dealer, and it fit me and the leg. So we got a new Dodge 1500. The hemi was nice, but when I tried to tow a 7000 trailer with it, it was under powered. Wrong gearing (I am smarter now on towing needs) So after 3 years I traded up to the Cummins and have not regretted the decision. That 7000 trailer is NOTHING to pull now. And the 13,000 toy hauler barely breaks a sweat. But the Ranger has always been something I have wanted to get back into. And for hauling a quad, it would be perfect. My son's choice was mostly one of being in teh right place at the right time. We had been looking for a ranger for him, but this one came up and for the money, it was the right choice. He is happy, we feel he has a safe vehicle to drive and it meets his needs. Our middle son has a Dodge 1500 4x4 that was free and is a POS. But he gets what he needs out of it. My advice to the asker is be smart about it. Don't tie yourself to a brand. Find something that is safe, is in decent shape and wont cost you an arm and a leg in the near term to keep running. Make sure you buy one with the capacity to do what you want to do, and a little more, because it never fails, you will always find chores that will exceed whatever the vehicle you own can handle. Same goes for trailers. Need to haul one, get one that hauls 2, maybe 3. Trust me, you will need it down the road. It never fails. That is why I have two enclosed trailers, and an open snowmobile trailer in my driveway. And I am looking for another open one as we speak.

Just messing with you DB!!!

Old 06-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

hey double D, i've been seeing alot more of those nissan titans running around. bodystyle is starting to look pretty good the last few years, i don't know much about them, but they're becoming popular, what's your view on them?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Jaster94
hey double D, i've been seeing alot more of those nissan titans running around. bodystyle is starting to look pretty good the last few years, i don't know much about them, but they're becoming popular, what's your view on them?

I'm the wrong person to ask 'cause I wouldn't consider buying one.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

Let me give you a little info, i dont actually own, but my brother inlaw does have a older one. Honestly they would have to make me a great deal to buy one, im not a fan of the looks or thin sheet metal.

His truck has been a decent truck for him, its about 5 years old but has low miles. However the tool box thing on the lower part of the bed is rotting away. I believe the big three had these in teh 70's and they rotted away then also.
His had to have a recall on the rear, while i never got the story of why i do know they have a dana 44 rear which was a great axle for jeeps, but not full size trucks. If i recall part of the issue the titan 44 had was weak shafts at the splines, i believe this was corrected and only the earlier years had them.

if your buying a used one like any truck go over real good, i dont see a lot of 1/2 tons that have been worked hard, but there are those every now and then.

Old 10-12-2014, 05:25 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaster94
gas mileage matters to me
I spent $7000 on gas for my pickup the first 12 months I owned it.

That's what it costs to drive what I like.

Quick Reply: Which Truck Is Better?