Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Truck Is Better?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Truck Is Better?

Hello,
I was debating on a truck to get for my first vehicle. I was thinking that I would either get a Ford Ranger or a Ford F-150. I know that they mostly get the same gas mileage but I wanted to know what you guys think is better. The truck will need to be able to pull a couple dirt bikes or a trailer and it needs to be a 4x4 because of michigan winters. I want to know which truck will get better gas mileage and which is overall a better truck. Also, I was debating if it should be a manual transmission or an automatic transmission. I know that there is not many newer f-150's that have a manual transmission so let me know what you guys think.
Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gas mileage matters to me, but it ain't in the top 5. top ten,,,yes. i'm willing to pay for safety, so i drive bigger vehicles because of other idiots on the road. just my opinion. and yes, they're ford. i was never going to overload a truck, so i went with bigger "just in case" a load i pulled was bigger than what i originally planned. i would have a truck that could handle it.
as far as transmissions, i'm lazy and don't want the expense of a clutch, so i use automatics. just my two cents! but, it'll be your truck and you're using your money, so get what you want and be happy about it.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was thinking automatic also, Ive only been driving since august and I've drove manual, they get annoying and it is a pain in the butt when you are in traffic. I'll most likely get an automatic transmission. Thanks for the help .One more thing, What engine would be most fuel efficient and offer enough power to haul things?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sorry i can't tell you on that one. i own a diesel. i'm not a gasoline engine fan when it comes to trucks. but i can tell you that a lot of guys i know have hardly any issues with the triton V8 in the F150. i have no experience in that dept.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Had a 95 Ranger with over 300k on it when I sold it to a relative. Still running and they won't give it back. Pulled a small 5x10 with two atv's and a small pop up trailer with it. Never gave me any problems and was the most dependable vehicle I ever owned. Wouldn't pull my toy hauler or carry more than two people comfortably.

Is this going to be new or used? New, the F150's get good mileage and still pull quit a lot. To get one in manual, you'd probably have to order it. If they still do that.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

A Ranger is not a truck is more of a suv. The trucks now a days seem to fuss over the rear passengers comfort over the cargo bed load now.
good luck carrying a load in this. A mini van with a few seats pulled out could carry more.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

that looks like the F150 rearended the ford edge and then lost its suspension and broke the leaf springs. i love ford, but they're really screwing up here!!!!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Definitely not the Ranger I had.

I remember back when they didn't have all the luxury stuff added, and they got really good gas mileage. Had an old SR5 Toyota that got about 26mpg, and a 91 Ranger that got about 25. Both were pretty much bare bones as far as stuff went. Heck, the Toyota only had an am radio. The 95 was a lot cushier and was an extended cab. It got about 20mpg.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:56 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My friend bought a new Toyota pick up I swear the rear passenger's doors are longer then the front drivers doors now.
You can carry 3 fat passengers in total comfort but need a red flag for a load of 8' lumber. its just almost pointless as a load hauler now.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

When I bought my Titan, they just came out with the 7 foot bed on the extended/quad cabs. Would have really liked that, but the wife drove it as well. I could just see here trying to get around a crowded parking lot in that.

Quick Reply: Which Truck Is Better?