Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

26' enclosed trailer & f250 super duty

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 26' enclosed trailer & f250 super duty

Hi ,
I am purchasing a 26' enclosed trailer to haul my quads and I own a 99 f250 SD 4x4. I am curious to get opinions/thoughts from people that haul enclosed trailers if they think I will need a load levelling hitch system on this setup with such a length of trailer.
I am hauling quads not side x sides in it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 03-29-2014, 06:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably not, although it wouldn't hurt. My brother has a 22 or 24' that we don't run weight distribution on and we all tow with 3/4 ton trucks. I feel the heavy duty axles and tires help to reduce sway vs a travel trailer. It also helps that it isn't really as large as most tt in cross section either. His trailer is pretty heavy for its' size too. Having said that, the wd hitch is an added safety layer, and I would recommend it if your truck/trailer combo don't sit level once loaded.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would also agree with Scooter86, probably not but for the cost of WD, the added safety factor you get may be worth it. Remember, it is not just the weight of the trailer, it is the form factor from towing around a giant "sail" that is affected by cross winds, low pressure situations from big rigs passing, etc.

Another item to pay close attention to is proper tongue weight. DO NOT rear load the trailer making the tongue weight light as this will cause you issues. Try and achieve around 13% - 15% tongue weight for better trailering on bumper pull trailers. So proper loading of the trailer is key...heavier quads in the front

Old 03-29-2014, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the advice.I appreciate it. I will run it as-is when it is delivered the end of april and go from there. See how it tows and if it squats the f250.
I found a set with everything on etrailer.com for 250 so thats not bad considering the trailer was WAY more than that.

Just gotta calll the trailer people and find out the tongue weight.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of things in case you have never towed anything that large before.

If you do get sway, use the trailer brakes ONLY to slow down until it goes away. You will need a brake controller in your truck in case you don't already. I recommend the Prodigy P2 or 3 for quality, adjustability, and bang for your buck. Keep speeds down until you can readjust weight in the trailer.

The next step would be to load the trailer for that ideal 10-15% tongue weight. This changes as you load, so heavier quads to the front. If this causes your F250 to sag much, then I would start looking into a wd hitch. Preferably get one with anti sway built in. They don't all have that.

You can add a friction anti sway to any trailer for less than $150.00, even if you find you don't need the weight distribution. For the record we don't have this on the enclosed either, but it would have come in real handy when we lost a tire a few years back!

If you do add any of this, it is best to disconnect it before backing the trailer. Sharper turning angle while backing will cause parts to hit, bend, break, etc.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks scooter86. I have hauled open trailers but this is my first enclosed trailer. It a vee nose so that should help some when at speed. I am sure it will be an experience. 26' trailer hooked to a truck makes for long turns but I am sure I will learn. 16' is what i have now. so the extra 10' is a heck of an addition.

I priced hitches last nite and not too bad really....200 to 600 bucks. obviously i won't go with the 600 model but go mid way in price and antisway is a cheap addition to add.

Thanks all.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well I found a round bar WD hitch on craigslist...gonna go buy it tomorrow for a hundred bucks...800 lb tongue weight bars...sounds like it should work for me. and its complete...nice deal it seems like.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:10 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tow a 32' travel trailer, total lenght is 35' actual weight is 9600lbs. My 2011 f250 diesel doesnt break a sweat, i do use a reese dual cam with 1500lb bars and would reccomend some sort of sway control on anything over 20'. obviously for a smaller trailer a friction sway might be fine.Just remember to loosen the friction sway when backing in or making tight turns.

The bars will definetly help level the truck, when setting them up make certain to load the trailer as you would. The object of the bars is to force some of the weight onto the front of the tow vehicle.

I didnt see you mention what you have for an engine? is it the 7.3 diesel?

Old 04-01-2014, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

I have the 5.4 gas motor...wish I would have gotten the diesel but back in the day I didnt need the diesel and for $4500 it wasn't worth it.
I expect hills will give me a struggle especially since it has the 3.73 gears and oversized tires with the 4" lift. So my gearing is not "factory' due to the bigger tires...thats what kills my torque on hills is those darn tires...I oughta think about getting it regeared but that is some money spent to have it set up...and with my boys getting bigger every day the crew cab is looking more and more attractive..I just hate the idea of parting with my truck that I have werked for years to customize. If not for that I woulda sold/traded it for a diesel years ago.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck..you know what regearing will do to the fuel mileage at highway speeds, no doubt it will help towing.

New truck...i guess the quiestion would be what the budget is, mine had a nice sticker that said $62k. my buddy has a 05 crew with the v10, tows a similiar trailer as mine without an issue, he is running 4:56 gears though.

Quick Reply: 26' enclosed trailer & f250 super duty