Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Bush hogs and finish mowers , What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bush hogs and finish mowers , What to buy?

I bought a Polaris ATP 500 H.O. and I am looking for a good but cheap grass cutting system to pull behind it. I have 4 acres of land that is pretty rough. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to buy?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Well, since its four acres and you say its rough you need a bush hog. A finish mower is a better cut like a lawn mower cut, so the bush hod is the way to go. As far as name brands and where to buy one to pull behind a ATV, well I have no idea BUT I know where to find out though. I'll have a few ideas tomorrow for ya. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 05-30-2003, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, the only reason I considered the finish mowers was because the ones that the dealer offered were 60" and the bush hogs were only 48" but you are right I would be better off with a bush hog. The prices the dealer is asking are around 2000.00 that just seems a little high to me. I appreciate your help let me know what you find out.

Old 05-31-2003, 06:36 AM
Trailblazer

Check out the thread in “hunting, farming and outdoors”. There is some good info there.

Prices can vary quite a bit on the ones I have looked at. A friend of mine works in a farm supply store and he told me the other day that at the end of the grass cutting season they sometimes heavily discount theirs. It all depends on how much storage room they have in back and how many they sold that year. I am considering buying one and with my moderately rough yard I think I’m going to need a rough cut or brush hog type. I want to do some trail work too so I think the finish cut types are out.

Old 05-31-2003, 09:04 PM
eb
Trailblazer

I paid almost $1600 for a 63" finish mower at farm and fleet.That was the biggest POS I ever owned!You couldn't keep a belt on it and they costed almost $50 a piece.It was also very hard on belts on my quad to drive so slow for so long.Don't waste your money. Eric

Old 06-02-2003, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few brands out there. Swisher makes pull behind rough cut and finish cut atv mowers, as does a company called acre-ease. The swishers are a much more entry level product and price from what I can tell. If the stuff is thick and high get a rough cut mower. If this is your yard and it's all grass, get the finish cut mower. They range from 44" for $875 to 60" with electric start 15hp kohler engine with oil filter etc.... pm me if you want some of the links. I saved a few because I was interested in the same thing. Getting really tired of walking behind my mower, it takes forever.