Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Is it worth it to get a winch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to get a winch?

I have a winch on my 4X4 and have used it 3x on the trails since 98. I use it more to lift my plow in the winter.

When I was looking every one told me to buy a warn "there the best!" As I don't dispute that comment, I just felt that they were allot of money compared to the superwinch and do I really need it.

Guys that do major trail ridding or Mudding would want the best and should by a top rated winch but for Me... I went for price and have not been disappointed yet. Still have insurance, Just not the deluxe package.

Old 06-15-2003, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

where I ride you can't afford not to have a winch. I just rode for about 2 hours today and had to use it twice. One tree down in the trail and I tried to get over it but that wasnt happening. After I winched myself off the tree I winched the tree off the trail. Very handy to have in Pennsylvania!

Old 06-16-2003, 03:50 AM
Trailblazer

Not a question here either, either you have one or you ride with someone that does. I did not have a winch when I first got my cat, and on the first ride I was pulled several times. By the second ride, the winch was installed and I was able to return the favor. If you ride alot of soupy areas its a good thing to have along with a tow strap. I use the strap more, unless I am alone.

Old 06-16-2003, 10:56 AM
Pro Rider

It is defintly worth getting a winch. I have a T1500 superwiinch on my recon and it has been very useful a few times. LOL. The superwinches are a bit cheaper then the others but I haven't had any problems with mine and I've had it for over a year now. I used to have a 2000lb superwinch on an older wheeler and it worked for about 7 years then it started stalling out and lossing power. I have my winch on with a KIMPEX mount and it goes up under the front fenders out of the way.

Old 06-16-2003, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your help everyone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

No question about it. Get a winch. Used ours a record 16 times in 5 miles the other night [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Most of the time we are mudding it's too far to trees so we just winch off another wheeler.

Old 06-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

well, although everyone has said to get a winch, where I ride often, a winch can be a big pain in the butt. Winches are not sealed. Where I ride, my quad is often submerged to the headlights or racks, in deep water. If you submerge your winch and want it to last, you must unspool it and respool it each time to heat up the motor to remove moisture, and will periodically have to pull the entire thing apart, clean, and regrease it. Considering the front of my quad is submerged almost every time I ride it, the winch would be too much of a pain. Whenever we get stuck, two guys pushing usually is enough to get the quad out, if not, pulling with another quad has done the trick so far. Outlaws help too =] Thats the reason I haven't gotten a winch..