Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Honda Rincon

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2003, 12:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Rincon

I have 30 hrs on my Rincon and my only gripe is the missing hi/low range. If your climbing steep stuff you'll be better off with something with lower gear options. The Rincon has a ton of power to go up things but it won't crawl up rocks at a comfortable pace and coming back down could give your hand cramps. If you don't like white knuckles and steep hills then Rincon is the way to go. I had problems with the brake lights sticking on and the power blinking out when I first got it but it was just a overtightened brake lever and a loose battery cable. (Poor assembly at the dealership) The engine brake is fine for trail rides in the Rocky Mountains.

Old 07-17-2003, 01:02 AM
Range Rover
Default Honda Rincon

Hey Reconranger,
Here you go I found this and it might explain why some folks don't think the Rincon has an engine break. When I am on the hills I use ESP so I don't have this issue...

From Motorcycleworld.com

Question: I had just purshased a 650 rincon and my one of my friends told me that he new somebody who had a rincon and while going down hill the engine would not break therefore he had to use the hand breaks excessfully.Can someone tell me if this is true because I havn't yet gone out because of all the snow. thank you.
A: Well that all depends. The Rincon's tranny will brake going downhill, but it all depends on the gears and the RPM. If you have the tranny in automatic and its in a higher gear, it may take a few moments for the computer to determine that the RPMs are down and brakes applied in order to drop down a gear to provide the braking. Also, if its already down in 1st gear and the RPMs are low because you aren't moving that fast, it will not brake. Generally if I know I'm going to need a bit of engine braking I will run in ESP mode and gear down manually when I need the extra braking. Mike - 03/13/2003
A: I have gone down some pretty steep hills and haven't had a problem at all. I think the engine braking does fine, honest, I get a bit nervous going down the steep hills but if I keep off the brakes, it does just fine Andy Madrid - 06/08/2003

Old 06-28-2004, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda Rincon

The key here is to shift it yourself, don't leave it in auto. I went down a 45 degree 150 yard long hill yesterday, covered with small rocks and loose gravel, and did not have to use the brakes at all.

Old 06-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Honda Rincon

I love my rincon. I will buy another one. Mines never been to the shop, (note miles on green machine) so i know the time will come to visit the shop

I guess Wolfhound don't know how strong cast alluminum is, VERY.

A front locker would be nice

Old 06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Rincon

If your looking for the best, the rincon isnt for you. But if the rincon suits your needs, go for it!!!

Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda Rincon

Depends entirely on ones interpretation of "the best".
So far, the Rini is "the best" quad I have owned.
Beats the h*ll out of the '99 Kodiak I had for a total of 4 months, let me tell you.

Old 07-01-2004, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default Honda Rincon

Well there is a big difference between the 99' kodiaks and the 2000+ models but im not saying my kodiak is better than your rincon..b/c i'd be lying to myself. Thats why when the the new Brute Force hits my local dealers...i will have one.

Old 07-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Honda Rincon

The problem wasn't because it was a '99 instead of a '00+. The problem was because it was a piece
of junk. Owned it for 4 months, and for 2.5 of those it was in the dealers sevice dept. being "fixed".
The dealer never did get it completely "fixed".
I finally got a consumer affairs law firm on my side and got a $1000 rebate from the dealer and Yamaha,
and then sold it at a overal loss of $500.

Last Yamaha I have owned, or ever will own. And not because I think all Yamis are junk, but because Yamaha
and the dealer were total morons about the problems it had.

Old 07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda Rincon

Rincons are great quads, for what they were intended for. Honda made them as a SUV type quad, a kinda middle of the road between sport and utility. The suspension is just flat out awsome, I love the ride and will not get rid of mine for that reason. They are great for cruising on logging roads and for good trails. Suspension soaks it all up. I have had no problems with my tranny. You just need to learn when to use the Auto and when to use the ESP, if you do that you will be fine. I can say I hav a heap of miles on minw th no problems at all. They really wake up after about 250 to 300 miles, noticable difference to me.
The lack of EB and low gear is an issue if you do a lot of steep and technical trail riding where you need to physically manuever the quad. And some of that depends on your physical size and ability to manipulate the quad also. If your a big guy it definately makes it easier. It is pretty hard to have to creep along at a crawl on these type of trails (rocky/rooty/steep/technical) and constantly be on the brakes. My Foreman is so much better and more fun on those type of trails. If you don't ride much of those type of trails, it's a mute point.

Bottom line, great quad and I would recommend it.

Good luck

Old 07-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Honda Rincon

I guess I should have looked at the date of the original post. I've done that before, dang it. Didn't realize it was a year ago, kind of amute point huh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]