Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility engine sizes and weight and 4x4 and diff locks etc.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003 | 01:43 AM
Pro Rider
Default Utility engine sizes and weight and 4x4 and diff locks etc.......

personally, I like getting stuck! isn't it kind of fun to see everyones eyes light up when you go flying into the hole that knowone else would try?? the people that say they don't get stuck are usually the ones at the tail end of the pack going "I would do it but, I just washed my quad, but I know I could!!" Pathetic. Drove with a guy who was a huge Honda fan, I like honda, I am not bashing. HIS machine could go through anything he said, he is very cocky and we got sick of him so we took him out to a hole that we play in (I have never seen anyone get across it, it is BAD). He tried and tried, in the process he slammed his face into the rack, broke something in his tranny, fried his winch, blew a front tire, and my front diff went crunch trying to pull him out. Took my truck to get him out the next day!! I still laugh at him everytime I see him, and all he says is "I could have done it if i had 28's on the back instead of 27's!! sorry for the long post.

Old 07-25-2003 | 02:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

We don't have mud out here. Don't know if that is good or bad?

Old 07-25-2003 | 06:05 PM
Range Rover

i think alot of it has to do with skill. i have seen oldtimers cross stuff with one hand on the throttle and one holding a cold drink. other less experienced riders would work like heck to cross the same hole. but it is not hard to see the importance of ground clearance and traction.

Old 07-26-2003 | 02:02 PM
|
Pro Rider

Very true. Here in Alberta we have muskeg, and some guys just go into it flat out. they soon realize that if you go kinda slow and try to crawl through it then you have a better chance of making it because if you go REALLY fast you just bury your bike. (Find a happy medium) a little trick about muskeg is to keep close to the trees so if you do get stuck then your winch is easy to use.

Thats crazy about how he said if he had bigger tires he woulda made it even with everything else that went wrong! I once knew a guy like that who said he could do anything but he never really tried any super challenging holes. I dont ride with him anymore... too annoying