Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

IS water and mud gonna hurt my grizzly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS water and mud gonna hurt my grizzly?

I have an 03 Grizzly with a moose 1700lb winch.
My concern is, is it ok to ride in really wet conditions and ride through water that is 1-2 feet deep?
Does that hurt the machine?
And the winch says do not submerse. Well if i'm stuck in the mud or hung up in the water monst likely the winch is gonna be in the water, or mud.....whatever. Does it hurt to get the winch under water for short periods of time?
I've been riding for a long time but this is the first new machine that i've had and i don't wanna screw something up on it!
Thanks,
Greg H

Old 08-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Well, being I live in Florida "alot of mud and water" and have a Grizz I'll answer the question. The only different factor is your winch is a Moose and mine is a Warn. I've had mine in water over the fuel tank "for a very short time". The bike has been covered in mud, stuck in mud. I run it in water 2-3 feet deep on a regular basis. Don't be afraid to work the Grizz, mine has yet to be in the shop for ANY repairs other than the placement of a heat shield under the fuel tank and I think the '03 comes with that heat shield. Have fun and enjoy your Grizz..........I do.

Old 08-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

if ur gonna be in water alot u might want to have ur gear oil changed once a year- cuz thers always a chance that water could seep in- enjoy ur grizz

Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you drive a stock grizz in water up to the lower section of the fuel tank water will fill the air filter box and enter the carb intake. If this happens you will hydro-lock your engine. If a stock grizz has water up to the top of its fuel tank the water will enter the v-belt cooling ducts and fill you v-belt case. If that happens one may want to do a "grizzly and water" search on the Yamaha forum to clean out the v-belt case and carb. As for the winch, If you submerge it in water you may want to disconnect it from the battery and wash it out with fresh water and lube bearings and or other parts that may need it.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Vakero, you kept referring to a stock grizzly for all those situations in the water..... are there any mods you know of that can help the grizzly handle better in the water?

Old 08-13-2003, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

There is at least one member of this forum that has installed snorkels on his v-belt intake and exhaust ducts by drilling two holes into his front deck lid and extending both vents through it. I do not know of any mods that will do the same for the airbox intake but if one were crafty enough one could be made. There may even be something available from an aftermarket shop but I just do not know.
For myself, I feel it is not worth my time to try to cross water deeper then the top of my stock wheels. I found out the hard way the amount of time it takes to clean out a water logged Grizz properly. I just don't need the hassle. I am not going to say there are not proven ways to keep from soaking the vitals, I just haven't seen any that impress me. The worst case could be a hydro-locked engine with bent valves, or water in the main bearings that the oil can't displace, damaged cam or other. Those thoughts make me cringe.
To each his own. It is exhilarating crossing deep water, but a heavy price may be paid if you don't make it through the water.
I see on this forum several people claiming to cross water as deep as their gas tank, or to their racks. Once again THIS IS BULL S#*T if the Grizz is stock. A post that claims to cross water that deep will only encourage another person to try to drive into what stock machine can not cross.