Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Respooling winch

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Respooling winch

swamp: can u tell me why u think the winch is not a good lifting mechanism? I ask cuz the new Glacier system doesnt have a manual set up, its either the winch or electric lift.

Old 11-12-2003, 05:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

YOu don't need to do much to re-spool. The easiest way is to just attach your hook to something SOLID, and pull yourself in. I hook up to the receiver on the back of my truck. The weight of your quad is sufficient to tighten it up, just make sure you are not on any kind of downhill grade. A slight uphill grade is best if possible. After you do it a couple times it will become easier, but you just need to make sure you spool it back on straight. GOOD LUCK

Old 11-12-2003, 07:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

If you are constantly up and down with the winch, you will probably wear out the switch, relay and the motor prematurely. Depending on how much forward and reverse moving you do, you may lift and lower that plow 100 times in one plow session. That is almost a season of quadding right there. I would say go manual or find some other sort of electrical winch setup that is cheaper than a warn. I made a manual setup for a plow that I have. It isn't pretty but has worked for 10 years.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Respooling winch

Quad: I actually did what you suggested but using a tree in the backyard.

Maybe Im asking the wrong question, where do you guys have ur switch mounted?

I mounted mine on the l/s handlebar...... so when I was reeling in the quad to the tree I was in an awkward position try to feed the wire rope properly onto the reel as I leaned over the front end to reach for the switch. Not too crazy about that, me thinks that might lead to an incident sooner or later.

Should I keep the switch in a floating position? Any suggestions/advice or even better yet pics of how YOU guys mounted/set-up ur winch switch wld be some help.

TIA!

Old 11-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

I have my switch mounted on the LEFT handlebar, I definately would not put it on the RIGHT side. You want to be able to use the switch and the throttle at the same time. I have a Honda Rincon. It is mounted hanging down below the handle bar itself. I haven't had any problems using it while respooling or doing any doing anything else. You'll just have to play with it's location until you find a spot that works good for you. You can always buy the kit that allows you to use a seperate remote on a cord that plugs in and is not connected to anything. A buddy of mine has both a handle bar mounted switch and remote on a cord. In some situations one is esier to use than the other. With the plow you surely want a mounted swith. Both may not be necessary, but seems to work great. Good Luck.................................

Old 11-13-2003, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Respooling winch

Mine is on my handlebar too and yes it is a little tricky to guide it in and hold the button but it can be done.

Old 11-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Respooling winch

I've been plowing by using my winch as a lift for eight years. I live in Minneapolis so I know about snow [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I put in a better switch though. The plastic bodied rocker switch with the yellow rocker is lame. Not weather proof and the contacts are too small for the electrical load.

I wnet to Radio Shack and bought a double pole double throw spring to center switch. A nice, heavy duty toggle switch. The also sell small plastic boxes with removable sides. Buy a rubber boot to go over the switch. The box is mounted within thumb's reach of my left hand. I wired the switch so that the cable goes out when I push the switch forward. Intuitive.

Using the winch for lifting the plow can't damage it. Think for a second before saying that a manual lift is needed [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] How heavy is the plow? Tens of pounds. How often is the winch used? Seconds at a time. Can the winch overheat? Well, we're plowing snow so it must be cool if not COLD. The capacity of the winch is in the thousands of pounds. If it isn't up for the task of lifting a little sheet metal you're going to stay stuck when you're out in the boondocks.

Tom

Old 11-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Respooling winch

Hey Tom!

Any chance on sending me a few pics of how you mounted ur switch box to the handlebar?

The hardware that came with my SuperWinch just isnt allowing me to place the switch in a good position where I can actually get to the switch w/ my thumb w/out having to leave the grip.

Anyone else who has a unique mount please do share ur pics!

TIA!

Old 11-22-2003, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Respooling winch

I'd love to but the digi cam pooped out and is on its way in for warranty.

By using the Radio Shack box I have more places to mount the switch. I use a piece of aluminum strap. Bent it to line up with one of the bolts that clamp on the brake handle on the left. To get the bends right I first used a piece of coat hanger. Solder works good too, very flexible.

Be sure to use heavy strapping so that the switch doesn't move around. Add a dab of silicone around the wires to keep water out. Mount the box with the opening down to seal it a little better too.

Tom