Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Question for Treefarmer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2000, 08:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

treefarner,
Since you seem to be the expert on winches and the like I was wondering if you have seen or had any experience with AmSteel Blue, Poly winch line?
a .25" rope has the breaking strength of 9,200 lbs.
http://www.offroad-accessories.com/m.../products.html

http://www.bb4wa.com/amsteel.htm

I looks almost too good to be ture is it?

thanks,

Old 06-08-2000, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigCatDriver, I don't want to disappoint you, but my ignorance is greater than my knowledge on winching (and any other subject I can think of).

The standard wire rope (cable) used is called "6X19" class, meaning six outside steel strands made up of between 19 and 25 smaller wires. These strands are wrapped around an independent wire rope center (although the core may be made of fiber).

The breaking strength claimed (9,000 #) for the 1/4" cable you mention appears equal to the strength of 3/8" diameter 6X19 "steel plow cable," the industry standard.

While I am not familiar with this new product (I'll ask my rigging shop about it), I believe a high-strength cable could be fabricated to the performance level claimed. I would expect the cost to be considerably higher than standard wire rope.

Wire rope and rigging equipment manufacturers are very judicious in their ratings; truly, lives depend upon the capacities claimed. I would think you could depend upon a rating provided by a reputable company.

Thanks for pointing out this new product; a high-strength cable can give longer "reach" with lower weight; might come in handy.

Tree Farmer

Addendum: Man, you sent me back to school! I checked some data; "Improved" Plow Steel 1/4" diameter wire rope has a breaking strength of 2.94 tons, about 6,000 #; "Extra Improved" Plow Steel 1/4" diameter wire rope breaks at 3.4 tons, 6,800 #. There is an "Extra, Extra Improved" Plow Steel wire rope, but I couldn't find anything on it as small as 1/4"; generally, I think it's about 10% stronger than the "Extra."

These figures tell me the "AmSteel Blue" product is high performance indeed, probably through both materials and design differing from the ordinary product.

T.F.

Old 06-09-2000, 12:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking with the Wire Rope Technical Board, the "poly" AmSteel Blue exceeds the strength of any commercially-produced 1/4" diameter steel wire rope; 7000 # breaking strength is about the limit for even a "stranded" product.

The steel products may be more stable and have better cut and abrasion resistance than the poly product; however, synthetics are here to stay and have their place.

Tree Farmer

Old 06-10-2000, 09:07 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Tree Farmer
I thought that if anyone could give me the info I desigred you would be able too,

thanks again