Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Tusk Winch

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tusk Winch

I got my Rocky Mountain Atv catalog, and they are selling winches the name is 'TUSK'.
These winches are very cheap compared to the Warn ,and Ramsey. ALso the fairlead and mounting plate
are made by another company also... Anyone have any knowledge on these??????????????
Or is it to good to be true????????

Old 11-17-2003, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tusk Winch

I know someone with a 2000lb Tusk winch and it works fine. If you look at the different winches most of them have a different look. (Comparing- Ramsey, Superwinch and Warn) The Tusk looks exactly like the Superwinch right down to the orange sticker on the side. Superwinch makes certain winches for companies like Cabelas and Moose so it makes me wonder if it's a Superwinch. Tusk is a product line name that RM has come up with. They also have other Tusk items like grips. There are other sites selling the exact same winch under different names for more money. The only thing I didn't like about the Tusk winch is that the bottom of the switch is exposed and should be taped shut. You could also buy a sealed switch from Superwinch that should work. The switch issue isn't a big deal but it is something to consider.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Tusk Winch

I never heard of them. I have to warn's and love them also had a super winch it was just junk.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Tusk Winch

I just got my Rocky Mountain catalog in the mail. RM has changed the appearance of the Tusk winches a little bit from last year. The free spool **** used to be black and is now blue. I don't think they had a Tusk 3000 lb winch available last year. They also added the two metal bars above the cable. The switch in the picture with the 3000 lb winch looks like the new style switch with it closed in at the bottom.

Old 11-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tusk Winch

I don't know who makes the Tusk winch so I cannot speak for them.

I do know that allot of times manufactures make "items" for several different companies. Each company can usually give the manufacture a "spec" sheet to which they want their's manufactured to. It could be 10 times better than the manufactures own brand, and sometimes it can be 10 times worse. If Superwinch builds Tusk for Rocky Mountain it could be of higher or lesser quality than the Superwinch brand.

I would be more interested what people have to say about their Tusk winch more than what they have to say about their Superwinch.

Remember one thing though;

It’s unwise to pay too much, but its worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money . . . that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was in capable of doing the thing it was bought to do.

The common law of Business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot . . it can’t be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run. And if you do that; you will have enough to pay for something better!

John Ruskin (1819 – 1900)

I have bought several items including some with Tusk stamped on them from Rocky Mountain. They are my first call.

And don't forget the "TREE SAVER".