Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

hows everyones kodiak running?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003 | 02:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default hows everyones kodiak running?

Where in Alberta are you riding KodiakOwner? I ride around Rocky and you need a decent set of 6 ply mud tires for that area for the muskeg. The Bearclaws are an excellent all around tire but you may want to go a little more aggressive. I was happy when I switched from Bearclaws to Mudbugs.

Old 11-24-2003 | 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

My wifes Kodiak is near bullet proof. Had a minor problem with the front belt housing snorkle comming off and letting water in but that was a easy fix. From all the Yamahas I've owned they all seem to be VERY cold natured. You have to choke the "crap" out of them to start in cold weather. Oh, there is one other complaint......the rear brakes on the 2003 Kodiak 400 is a drum brake and we can't seem to keep pads on it after going through water.

Old 11-24-2003 | 01:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ProEMTPFF
My wifes Kodiak is near bullet proof. Had a minor problem with the front belt housing snorkle comming off and letting water in but that was a easy fix. From all the Yamahas I've owned they all seem to be VERY cold natured. You have to choke the "crap" out of them to start in cold weather. Oh, there is one other complaint......the rear brakes on the 2003 Kodiak 400 is a drum brake and we can't seem to keep pads on it after going through water.
I also have to choke mine a little, but it's not bad. At first I couldn't figure out what the deal was, now it fires right up w/ the choke. Yeah, the brakes aren't one of the Kodiaks specialties.

Old 11-24-2003 | 04:10 PM
Range Rover

Hey GYTR, I have had my Kodiak 450 for about 4 months and never had an issue with deep water until this past weekend I found some really really deep water and was doing great until I came to a stop and the belt started to slip, I was alittle pissed but at the same time I knew that could happen with the belt driven system, once I crawled to the shore took a bit but I made it. I opened the drain plug let it sit for a few minutes and was back up and running with no problems. I still love my kodiak it has been a great machine and everything I have taken it through so far I am happy. I know there is a snorkle system you can put on that will help with the water but I haven't really looked into it much.

Old 11-24-2003 | 10:38 PM
|
Pro Rider

I ride around st. paul AB mostly. I have been super impressed with the bearclaws. The combination of the lugs and the torque of my machine fit eachother perfectly.
I havent had to drain the belt case yet, but that goes with a little discretion on my part as to how deep I want to bury this thing. with saying that, I have followed a friends grizzly in a skeg and he got some water in the belt case. it was after many water crossings though ( beaver runs, muskeg, and some creeks) bottom line? the grizzly comes witha drain plug for 2004, I think.
Brakes are brakes. Drums seem to wear out faster than discs. We have both a yamaha and a honda trike to prove that theory!
I have seen some kodiaks on here that have the snorkel intake set up and I dont think i would get one because it just doesnt fit my purpose. It may be ggod if you like to really go deep though, like above the seatline, or in one of those times when you have a whoops!
Anyhoo, thanks for the information.

Old 11-25-2003 | 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info SoXx

Old 02-19-2004 | 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

No problems starting but keeping it started in cold weather is a big problem. Even after 10 minutes of plowing the thing still dies ofte. Today i plowed for 2 hours & i'm sure I have to restarted the little bear 10 times. I can't figure it out. i;ve even uped the idle and it seems to not have an impact.

Old 02-20-2004 | 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: VMaxamillion
No problems starting but keeping it started in cold weather is a big problem. Even after 10 minutes of plowing the thing still dies ofte. Today i plowed for 2 hours & i'm sure I have to restarted the little bear 10 times. I can't figure it out. i;ve even uped the idle and it seems to not have an impact.
Have you adjusted your valves? Maybe it's running too rich or too lean?

Old 02-22-2004 | 12:05 PM
LTT
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2003 450. It's run great the year I've had it, no problems starting in Minnesota's sub zero temps. I keep it in a unheated garage, have to use full choke to start it when it's below zero, let it warm up for about 5 min. and go plow snow. I've never had problems with it dieing while plowing snow. My old 2000 - 400 Kodiak had this habit but not the 450. Over all I couldn't be happier with the 450.

Old 10-23-2006 | 04:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I run both all winter, use mine to plow the driveway.
Never had a problem starting in the winter although I do keep them in an unheated garage, but never had a probelm when there outside either.
I use it to plow snow on the lake to make an ice rink, works great as long as the snow is not deeper than the frame.
I do have snowmobiles, but we take the ATVs out on the lake once in awhile for a change.

Quick Reply: hows everyones kodiak running?