Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Proper break-in routine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Proper break-in routine?

I am to take delivery on my new '04 Yamaha Grizzly 660 tomorrow. I know the dealer will probably recomend something but I would like to know what you all think/ or have done. I have heard to "baby" them for the first 75-125 miles, and then also heard ride them like your gonna ride it right from the start. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is don't ride at a constant RPM for awhile.

Old 12-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Range Rover

I just bought a new P700 myself, but I've owned quite a few new sportbikes, cars, trucks etc.... and I've always followed the rule of, break them in the way you plan to use the vehicle... EXCEPT.. no long full throttle blasts! Try to keep the throttle no more then 3/4 for any duration for the first 75-100 miles on an ATV, 400-600 miles on a car or sportbike. Then flush the engine, change the filter, and add a good oil. I prefer Mobil 1, with Prolong additive myself. We've used it in our racing engines for years with no oiling problems ever!

Put it this way... I have been using it since the 600 mile mark on my Pontiac GrandPrix GTP, and I have over 150k miles on it, and still get over 30 mpg on the highway and never an engine problem. I used a small fiber-optic camera to look inside the engine to see what the wear was looking like, and there is almost no sign of wear on the internal parts after 150k miles on Mobil 1 and Prolong! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

I agree,,, break it in like you are gonna ride it, but no prolonged throttle usage...

Old 12-02-2003, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I sorta agree w/ the above statements. I wouldn't exactly recommend riding it like I normally would, since I ride pretty hard, but I dont' baby new engines as much as the manufacturer recommend. I also don't recommend long bursts of full throttle during break-in.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two schools of thought on this:

One is to ride it hard right off the bat, and that will be better for seating the rings. With this method, you do get more POWER (because the rings seat more tightly), BUT is it the best method for engine longevity????? http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

The other is to baby it and slowly increase the time and stress you put on the engine, so the moving parts will wear into each other. And, heat cycle the engine (cool it completely between runs). I have used the baby it method, and my engines last forever and a day!!

With my next bike (TRX450R), I am going to use a combination of both. A few hard runs right off to seat the rings, then baby it and heat cycle it, so the rest of the engine parts can have time to wear in. Best of both worlds???????