Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

vinson vs kodiak 450

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinson vs kodiak 450

Sounds like you want a Kodiak then. A couple weeks back, we shot a 150 lb. 8 point so I brought the Kodiak out and got it. I was driving, Al was sitting on the seat behind me, the 8 point on the back rack and my bro on the front rack. The Kodiak walked through a small mud hole in 2wd high w/o missing a beat. You WON'T be disappointed. Plus, it is one fun machine!!!

Old 12-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was going to get the Kodiak 450 when I found a great deal on a Vinson Auto. Both are great machines and i didn't want a auto at first. I drove lots a kodiak's in the past, however I am not one bit regretful about going with the Vinson. I would have to say that it is a little better that the Kodiak for what I want it for (the same as you), especially the play part. It is a fun machine and I though I have not really overloaded it as of yet, it handeled everything that I have threw at it so far including getting Kodiak's out of the mud. Lots of power, looks better, handels more sporty. Both are great machines but I think the Vinson is a little better, more standard features as well. Also the auto's are way better in the mud and snow.

Good luck.

Old 12-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the help. I will probably get a Kodiak but i want to wait till jan. to see if yamaha comes out with some good interest rates.

Old 12-09-2003, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

It is not really fare to compare the two machines. I test rode both before i bought my vinson, and the vinson has way way more power, especialy down low in the rpm range. The vinson also handels much better at high speed, better in the mud and snow. I have riden with one once in wooded trails with alot of hills, and in hills that i was going up in 2nd and shifting into 3rd the kodiak was decearating for lack of power. The manual is a couple of miles an hour faster than the auto 67 to about 64 or 65, while the kodiac tops out at about 57. The vinson also rides alot smother than the kodiac, and you can ajust the shock rates to handel heavier loads. this hunting season my vinny was the personal carrier, I me and three other people to their stands every morning and there are some serous hills on the farm, not to mention last weekend we had a noreaster dump about 18 inches of snow on the ground, didint even phase the vinson. I also have alot of freinds without machines so I often tow a boat trailer with three couches and 9 or 10 people around on logging roads and it never has a problem with that either. As far as reliability goes iv heard good things about yamaha but i know first hand about suzuki iv owned many in the past and beat the crap out of them every day and they just take it with a grain of salt. Go with the vinson its the most for your money and you can hang with the big boys all day long thats just my 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2003, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

I got something to say. Its not directly related but ngh...... what the hell. I was out ripping around last weekend and was cruising on a lake. I went to the east side of it and was playing in the snow drifts. Man, That is so much fun! Its just like riding in the mud but you dont get all dirty and stuff..... I just put the kodiak 450 in low range with with locker on and it went in every direction i pointed it. I also tried it in only 4wd and it still kept crawling through the deep snow. ( 2-3 feet in places) Im sure the bearclaw tires have something to do with it, but I was sure impressed! Old Man Winter can keep Bringing on the Snow!

Old 12-11-2003, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: creaid
Thanks for the help. I will probably get a Kodiak but i want to wait till jan. to see if yamaha comes out with some good interest rates.
Good call!