Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Warn plow hardware workaround

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn plow hardware workaround

Anyone out there have or heard of a workaround to the "J bolt" design Warn employs which shears when the plow is lifted too high? I know it's to protect the winch, but it's a real bummer when she shears at night or in sub zero cold and a guy has to unbolt the old bolt from underneath the plow and install a spare J bolt. Anyone heard of a quick release out there or using an alternative to raise the plow? I still want to protect the winch but you would think they would have designed this so you can replace it relatively easily. Any ideas beyond the age old "don't raise it too high?"

Thanks

Old 12-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

That J Bolt is not to save the winch at all. It saves your front bumper from pulling off. it is supposed to straighten out the J when exccesive force is used. make up a couple out of bolts with the heads cut off and bent. Works for Me. By the way. Ive never broke a J bolt yet any way.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've used some heavy rubber o-rings (normally used for car-exhausts) between the wirehook and the plow. In that way the winch will not get any heavy shocks while plowing or while you are rising the plow. 4 o-rings and 2 shackles was all that was needed for me, but the amount of o-rings naturally depends on the weight of the plow.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the ideas. I talked to Warn and the reason for the J bolt is strictly to prevent bending the plow tubes when you raise the plow too high.

Old 12-22-2003, 07:34 PM
Trailblazer

LiquorPig,
I had a simular problem with my Moose plow - it's tough to judge when the blade is all the way up. My solution was to put a short length of 1" heavy rubber hose on top of each plow tubes where they contact the skidplate. This gives a "cushioned" stopper effect that helps signal that it is up all the way. No more broken winch cables since the change.

Old 12-22-2003, 08:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks BullMoose:

How did you attach the 1" hose to the plow tubes? Did you slide the length of rubber hose over the tube or duct tape it or clamp it?
Sounds like something I want to try.

Old 01-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer

cut a length of hose, lay it on top of the push tube, wrap some duct tape around it. Doesn't sound too professional, but it's worked for me.