Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Do You Wear a Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 01:17 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Do You Wear a Helmet?

A real nice adjustable sun visor!

Old 01-25-2004, 01:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waer a helmet unless Iam working around the yard or messing around in the yard

Old 01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes and No!

Yes = If I am out running through the trails on my 5 Acres of woods and hills. Then I do not leave without the Helmet. Now if I was pulling a stump, downed tree or pushing snow, I would also have the Helmet in place.

No = If I am hauling a load of leaves or tree limbs, or maulched leaves back to the burn pile using my cart. Or Pulling the Spreaders or
Airraters around the lawn, I leave the helmet off.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good post.

I think it is a matter of choice....Overall, I think you need to use your best judgment....I use my quad primarily for hunting purposes and when I'm on my way to my stand I generally move slowly and quietly...I don't see the need for a helmet....As for the guy whos sister-in-law was hit by the falling brach...I suppose you'd expect her to wear a helmet while walking aroung the yard too??? When I go ride the trails, I always wear a helmet and eye protection...its the smart thing to do....What I'm saying is just be smart about it, and you should be fine.

Old 02-03-2004, 03:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BuckMark
Most of the riding I do is on a farm where I hunt. Mainly on dirt roads around the edges of fields that you could handle in a good four wheel drive jeep. Nobody does any hot ******* or speeding around just getting from A to B. I have to admit none of us wear a helmet. I am seraiously considering one to help fight off the cold wind and any mishaps. Maybe we are pressing our luck, thoughts.
Maybe we are pressing our luck, thoughts

What an understatement that is. I can agree that as long as it is not a law, everybody has their own right to wear or not wear a helmet. Goes with all the other rights we have. But I don't understand why anybody would not wear one. Even an open face helmet is better than nothing. Doesn't protect your face, but good lucks are way over rated [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. It doesn't take a lot of speed and crazy riding to fall over and hit your nugget. If it didn't, people wouldn't have to wear bicycle helmets. I don't understand why somebody would want to be selfish enough to say they don't want to wear one because it takes away from the ride. Slap me for saying this, but: Wearing a condom takes away from good s@#, but guys wear them because they don't want a disease or a baby!!! Lot's of opinions on this one, but what's worse: knocking your head on a rock or something and getting killed or being a vegetable the rest of your life: or getting some little disease or having a kid??????? Ask your family and friends their thought.
It's because of ignorance and the thought that "it won't happen to me", that people get killed and/or get severe head trauma because they don't wear a helmet. I'll bet most of those that don't wear a helmet, wear a seatbelt when they are in a car. That isn't the most comfortable thing to wear either. If there were no risks, or the risk vs benefit was even low enough, I wouldn't want to wear a helmet either. But it's NOT, the risk is HIGH. Some will throw out the old, "you could get hit crossing the street" or something idiotic analogy that anything can happen any time. My answer is, yep you are right. But if there is a good tool or some good way to help prevent an accident or bodily injury, WHY NOT USE IT ????????????????????????????????????????

Whewwwwwwwwwwww

Old 02-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Quad4Fun<brBut if there is a good tool or some good way to help prevent an accident or bodily injury, WHY NOT USE IT ????????????????????????????????????????

Whewwwwwwwwwwww

There is a great tool to avoid such incidents. It's called your brain. If you use it you don't need a bucket to store it in.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I was going to stay out of this but decided to post this just as a possible option for some people who have the same problem I do. In the summer is when I hate the helmet because they are just flat hot. I have several times rode without it for this reason. Problem was I demand that my children wear one. My daughter used the why don't you wear one Daddy bit on me. So as a solution I went and purchased a helmet that exstreme mountian bike racers use. It looks like a full face helmet except it has screened vents like a bike helmet and grooves in the styro foam liner for the air to move through. I know that it is not a DOT helmet and isn't going to help of I get hit in the head by another quad going 60mph. But they are good enough for down hill bike racers who reach speeds approaching 70mph on mountain bikes. This helmet is a lot cooler to wear when it is hot outside. If I planned on riding the Poison Spider trail at Moab I would still take the DOT helmet. This is not to pass judgement just offer my solution to anyone who has the same problem I had. And I don't usually bother with a helmet for putting around the camp ground or yard chores. Yes I know you can still get hurt but I know lots of people who get hurt building a fence or working with power tools. I wear a helmet on the trail because I make my children wear one. I also think you have no right to tell me I have to wear one. I do think children should be required by law to wear one. reason is the same as why you pay more to insure the teenager than an adult. Experinse and distractions, kids wreck cars more often that adults so it stands to reason they are more likely to misjudge a situation on the trail. Other than that the arguing going back and forth isn't changing anyones opinion it just seems a couple of guys want to argue. So have at it.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Ok, I was going to stay out of this until I read some of the posts. Now I feel like jumping in. First let me say when I use a helmet. If I’m ridding up in the hills and trails I always use a helmet. If I’m on my ranch and spraying weeds at 2 to 5 MPH, no, I don’t use a helmet. I never have used a helmet when I’m ridding on my ranch.

All in all, it’s about assigned risk. Some people in this world don’t think there should be any risk in life. Some people think that riding an ATV is an unacceptable risk. Some people think that I should wear a helmet “every time” I get on my quad.

To these people I say consider this: In 2000 there were 300,000 slip and fall injuries in the U.S. Of those, 1,400 were fatalities. In 1998 there were over 60,000 ATV injuries in the U.S. You have 5 times the chance of getting hurt (not per capita) while walking, climbing, etc, rather than ridding your ATV. This being so, why aren’t you wearing your helmet while walking, cleaning the gutters or getting into your bathtub? Remember, you have 5 times the chance of getting hurt by doing these things than me ridding my ATV, with or without my helmet!!!! If you have a better chance of surviving a car accident, (and you do), why don’t you wear a helmet in your car or truck while driving to your favorite ATV ridding spot, or to work?

And while I’m on risk, you have almost 4 times the risk if you have a glass door or windows in your house. Over 216,000 people were hurt with these in 1995!!!! Some were fatalities.

Also, hospital cases caused by socks and tights also rose by nearly 1,000 to 10,773 in 1999. Well, I guess we can’t win them all; my ATV is 6 times more dangerous than socks. Now that’s nice to know!!!!

One last weird true fact, in 1999 there were 329 toilet roll holder related injuries (approximately the same amount of cleaver injuries). How the hell does that happen?

What I’m getting at is; where does it all stop?

For me, I just use common sense. I suggest people that have toilet paper roll accidents, aaaaaaaaaa, please stay away from ATV’s. You’re too stupid to own one!!!!!

Old 02-06-2004, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

I never used to wear one until I got a sweet deal at a pawn shop. 125 out the door for a THOR motocross helmet.

I dont wear one for work or hunting though. You cant hear much with it when driving slowly and hunting.